Cassette

Power02
Power02 Posts: 18
edited August 2018 in Road general
I have an 11x28 cassette on my Cannondale synapse with a 50x34 chain set. How much difference would I notice if I put a 11x30 cassette on instead for hills.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Do you mean ease of pedalling or theoretical gearing change difference?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    2/28 would be the answer; about 7%.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Try it and find out. Also do you need a 11-30t most people don't need the 11t. There are other options.

Do you notice the difference between the 23t and 25t cogs in your cassette? If you can't just start riding fixed.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    If you go from 34/28 to 34/30 the real difference will come on steep climbs, you will be able to have a slightly higher cadence with the easier gear, which may make the difference between a grind and a cadence in your efficient range.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,624
    Try it and find out. Also do you need a 11-30t most people don't need the 11t. There are other options.

Do you notice the difference between the 23t and 25t cogs in your cassette? If you can't just start riding fixed.
    I don't know why this has suddenly become common "advice". I never recall the advice being to ditch the 52x12 for a 52x13.

It stands to reason, I think, that if you live somewhere the hills are steep enough and long enough to be thinking about a 34x30, a 50x12 is going to feel a bit short on occasion when you are coming back down. An 11t is not "must have" but "nice to have", weighed against the very marginal benefit of closer ratios if you go 12-30.

I don't think you'll notice much difference going from 28 to 30, but its not going to make it worse...
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Whether you 'need' an 11 or not will vary according to your chainset. Having a 50-12 as your highest gear will mean spinning out on fast group rides and moderate descents so in that scenario an 11 will probably be of value. Equally having a 39 as your smallest chainring will made a 30 more useful than it might be if you have a 34 inner ring.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D