Replacement 'rigid' forks for 700c Specialized Crosstrail Hybrid.

ayjaycee
ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
edited August 2018 in The workshop
I’m posting this in ‘Commuting’ as I would guess that there are more Hybrid riders here than in 'Road'.

I’m hoping that some of you good people can give me some advice on replacing the current Suntour suspension forks on my Specialized Crosstrail Comp Sport. It’s a 2012 model but is in very good condition as it has had only light use. I originally bought it new along with a bike for my Mrs for the odd pub run but it has sat unused in the shed some time now. I had thought of putting it on ebay but suspect that it would not fetch much and thought that I would rather press it into service as a winter hack. The problem is that I am so used to riding much lighter road bikes and the Crosstrail feel like it weighs a ton in comparison. It occurred to me that replacing the current forks (which probably weigh 3 Kg or more!) would go a long way to helping the situation but I haven’t been able to find anything suitable. I know that I have to get ‘Suspension Compensated Forks’ (for 100mm) and I would prefer some in carbon. I also think that mounts for ‘proper’ mudguards are essential as it will be for winter use. The questions are:

Has anybody done this to the same or similar bike and how did it work out?
Does anybody know of a suitable fork for the job.

I’ve not really got a budget in mind and would probably baulk at anything over £150 but………

Thanks in advance
Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
Kinesis Racelight 4S
Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ayjaycee
    Cooldad, Thanks for that (and I really do mean it) but that’s one of the most poorly designed web sites that I have ever seen (but it might just be because I’m on an iPad at the moment as it’s all I have access to). I might email them and ask the question but the website really wouldn’t persuade that they would be a good firm to do business with.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Might be a rubbish site, but products are good. Service is pretty speedy too. Although I've never needed to contact them.

They are also on Ebay, with various names, but excellent feedback.

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/Internation ... Brake-Pads
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ayjaycee
    Again, thanks - I've sent them an email and will wait to see if they respond. That said, having looked at he website again (and it's still pretty uninspiring, even on my laptop!), I'm not hopeful that they can supply what I want (ie. with the mudguard fittings).

Anyone else got suggestions?
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • ayjaycee
    Cooldad, Yet again, thanks. To their credit, they responded to my email very quickly but unfortunately only to confirm my earlier suspicion that they do not make what I want. It's a shame for me but at least I don't have to look at the website again.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look at Mosso forks on ebay, you can get a range of A2C to correct for suspension, they give a comfy ride and are pretty light (lighter than heavier duty carbon) and come with mudguard mounts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ayjaycee
    Rookie, Thank you for the tip. They look OK and would seem to do the job but I do have reservations over the comfort of ally forks - suspect carbon would be a lot more comfortable over a longer ride. Have you used the Mosso forks yourself? I would also be grateful to hear from anybody else that has (or has any other advice).
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    These might work if the A2C is similar, and you don't mind paying a premium...

https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/fyxati ... fork-black

http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.p ... wy-cx7disc

Another option would be alu forks and carbon bars. Would certainly make finding suitable forks easier/cheaper, and you'd still get the road buzz dampening from the bars.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • The Rookie
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Rookie, Thank you for the tip. They look OK and would seem to do the job but I do have reservations over the comfort of ally forks - suspect carbon would be a lot more comfortable over a longer ride. Have you used the Mosso forks yourself? I would also be grateful to hear from anybody else that has (or has any other advice).
    Yes I used Mosso myself for 2 years on my old bike, they transmit a little (and I do mean a little) more buzz than the carbon forks on the new bike, but were more forgiving on bigger inputs. they were lighter than he Carbon as well (Its a PX London road so quite beefy forks).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ayjaycee
    Rookie, Again, thanks - I might well take a punt on some of those Mossos. I just need to work out what to order now and how to put them on!

Lee, Thanks also but they are both a bit dear. Indeed, the price of those Billy's forks are border line taking the p1ss.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • ayjaycee
    After measuring the axle to crown distance on the bike I've now had a closer look at the Mosso forks - even the longest would be too short by about 2". Any other suggestions would therefore be much appreciated.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • The Rookie
    Don’t forget you ride with suspension sagged so that makes it effectively only an inch shorter, that’s only going to steepen the head angle by about 1/2 degree which would be fine.
  • ayjaycee
    The Rookie wrote:
    Don’t forget you ride with suspension sagged so that makes it effectively only an inch shorter, that’s only going to steepen the head angle by about 1/2 degree which would be fine.
    Rookie, Thanks for the suggestion but the forks are almost always locked and the measurement of 2" that I mentioned above is therefore when the bike is just sitting there on it's own (ie. as measured) or being ridden.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • The Rookie
    I doubt they stay locked at full extension when you’re riding......
  • ayjaycee
    The Rookie wrote:
    I doubt they stay locked at full extension when you’re riding......
    Rookie, Again, thanks. OK there is a very small amount of movement but certainly not enough to affect my measurements in any material way. I think I have officially given up on the idea and am now focussing my attention on a new road frame. Cheers anyway.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S