Make do and mend

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited August 2018 in Commuting chat
Recently moved house , Somewhere closer to work now (4 miles each way).

Anyway whilst my CX bike is out of action (product recall so back at the shop) I took up the opportunity to get the old MTB from the back of the garage out and see what's what.Its a early 90's lavender purple Raleigh jobbie, not sure the model as the stickers perished years ago!

A quick trip to decathlon for some new inner cables, brake pads and some cheap Btwin tyres , then a bit of a clean up and safety check and she was up and running again - It was an absolute joy! Gears meshing beautifully and the old school steel frame just felt so comfy.

Obviously the CX bike is way faster but honestly I had so much fun on the MTB that I simply did not care. Its now fitted with my rack and guards from the CX and its my default choice for all my sub 20 mile rides inc commuting.

Its nice not worrying about the lycra and Strava - I think my old MTB has put a smile back on my face and rekindled my love of cycling - Not bad for a 25 year old Raleigh!!

Sometimes on the face of it older can be better (read more comfortable and smile inducing).

Ta.

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Understand this fully, I still regularly use my Ridgeback hybrid, which by my reckoning is 23 years old. It's still fun to ride, especially fitted with chunky tyres, although there isn't much left of the original in terms of drive train.

Am seriously considering stripping it down and sending it off to be repainted, as there's a little rust creeping in now.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Pics? Could be a Mustang:)
    Dave
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Yep I think it is a mustang - Will post pics shortly.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    My first mountain bike circa 1991:)
    Dave
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I regret chucking my seemingly knackered Raleigh touring bike - complete with downtube shifters, chrome mudguards(rusted) and rack...
    it was less than 20yo but I hadn't ridden it for yonks - hence nothing "worked" - but if I knew then what I know now, I'm sure I could've got it back up and running as a commuter/winter bike - would've been fun on the club rides too :)