Tyre rubbing against the frame

mtbrider123
mtbrider123 Posts: 102
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Hi Guys,

So I have an argon 18 E118 2017 time trial bike with Zipp super 9 rear wheel. The rear wheel keeps on rubbing against the left seat stay when I’m standing up. I’ve tried centering the wheel but no success. I manage to get the wheel in between the chainstays but then the wheel is not straight in between the seat stays (sits closer to the left side). I had the same problem with another E118, so don’t think that the frame is the problem. The bike has horizontal drop outs... Does anyone have any idea of what is going on? By the way, The bearings are new, no play in the hub, Zipp quick release is used.

Thanks

Comments

• Have you tried the wheel in a different frame or a different wheel in your current frame???
  • Louman999 wrote:
    Have you tried the wheel in a different frame or a different wheel in your current frame???

Tried a Mavic Pro Carbon SL and no rubbing
  • Louman999 wrote:
    Have you tried the wheel in a different frame or a different wheel in your current frame???

Tried a Mavic Pro Carbon SL and no rubbing
    The only thing that comes to my mind is wheel flex. I’ve heard other people experiancing wear on the sides of their tyres.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Have you tried tightening the QR ? I've pulled wheels over like that a few times when it wasn't tight enough.
  • cougie wrote:
    Have you tried tightening the QR ? I've pulled wheels over like that a few times when it wasn't tight enough.
    Yes, it’s very tight. It was hard to close it with my whole hand .
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As its horizontal drop outs, are there any marks on the dropouts to show the wheel is moving slightly?

To be honest I'd be using a bolted skewer as its more secure (not to mention being lighter and more aerodynamic, and at sub £10 they hardly break the bank!).

It can only be one of
    Frame flex
    Wheel flex/play in hub
    Wheel moving slightly in frame
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I'd say the wheel is moving in the drop outs. You're applying force to the drive side of the wheel hub when you put pressure on the pedals, probably pulling it slightly further forward than the non-drive side. If you're fully seated in the drop outs, the non-drive side is probably shifting slightly backwards. I'd put a mark on the non-drive side drop out and see if the skewer has moved when you experience the tyre rubbing. If it hasn't you know it is something else.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Try a Shimano QR ?