Glasses, goggles and steaming up

david7m
david7m Posts: 636
edited August 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello

Anyone found a decent way to stop glasses/goggles steaming up? The Muc Off offering only lasts about 5 minutes, also tried a thin smeering of washing up liquid which i'm not sure it worked as rain stopped and i took googles off.

Goggles are Oakley.

Dave

PS Was putting anti fog both sides of glass lense and both sides of goggles.

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    My glasses have air holes in them and that helps. They can still steam up, particularly in damp weather if I stop. As soon as I get moving the air flow soon clears them.

I also have Oakley goggles and I find them pretty good. Never used any treatment but they do only get used once a year on my annual BPW trip. You can get anti-fog stuff for scuba masks. I've also done the old spit and rinse. When I used to dive, people would clean new goggle lenses with toothpaste and that apparently helped.

Some lenses are apparently anti-fog but I'm never too sure if it's just marketing hype.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • david7m
    Without the goggles ( or Google's pre edit) my glasses don't steam, but the water doesn't clear quick either.
    Dave
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I use Oakley Straitjackets. I had one near miss too many with twigs and stuff just missing my eyes. The Straitjacket frames nestle snuggly onto the bony orbit and I feel completely confident that my eyes will not get speared by twigs, or scratched by brambles. But as soon as I stop the bike, in certain conditions the draft of warm moist air rising up from my open necked clothing can fog the lenses. So, two things to fix this. One is to close off the opening at the neck. This works but isn't too practical in Summer! The option I went for was to use Fog Buster by Hilco. I put a very small amount on the inside face of the lens and rub it in gently with my finger tip. Then wipe it off with the supplied cloth. Job done.

There are a few extreme conditions that will defeat it (Ye canna beat the laws o' physics Cap'n!), but its a good product that I use whenever the forecast is for above 50% relative humidity.
  • david7m
    Thanks for your detailed response!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1589243208

Don't suppose you have tried the Muc Off for a comparison?

Dave
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    david7m wrote:
    Thanks for your detailed response!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1589243208

Don't suppose you have tried the Muc Off for a comparison?

Dave

Nope, sorry not tried it.
  • david7m
    Ok, cheers.
    Dave
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Get some fairy liquid or some other washing up liquid, mix with water and coat the inside of your glasses and wipe dry. No more foggy lens.

It’s a remedy from my motorcycling day’s

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It’s been 3 years. I suspect he has it sorted by now.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009