Getting tyre on rim advice

kajjal
kajjal Posts: 3,380
edited August 2018 in Cyclocross
I have a hope 20five front wheel and getting tyres on it is hard work even with levers. On all other rims I have road, mtb etc. I can easily get tyres on just using my hands. Does any one have any tips or if you have these rims can you suggest tyres that go on easily ?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Warm soapy water on the rims and heat the tyres up with a hairdryer. I have the same issue getting tubeless tyres on my Mavic UST rims.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • kajjal
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Warm soapy water on the rims and heat the tyres up with a hairdryer. I have the same issue getting tubeless tyres on my Mavic UST rims.

Thanks for the quick response, my concern was also what to do if out on the bike as well.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Kajjal wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

Thanks for the quick response, my concern was also what to do if out on the bike as well.

Pray to the biking gods you never need to!

Going tubeless helps as you're less likely to ever need to remove it, unless you run the pressure to low and 'burp' the tyre.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Or you get a cut in the sidewall.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Proper tubeless setups don't burp, many tubeless setups considered proper are not because they burp. Tubed tyres on tubeless rims can be a tight fit as that silly tube is in the way.

If sticking with tubes train your hands and the road side puncture repair is not such a problem.

Or go tubeless but learn how to avoid the pitfalls first.

A side wall cut can be fixed by sealants. I have seen that happen. Or multiple fat worms glued in place.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • kajjal
    Thanks for the advice, I am starting to think tubeless may be the solution. I have no problems just popping the tyres on with my hands on other rims but these are hard work in comparison even with levers.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Kajjal wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

Cordless hair dryer?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • kajjal
    TGOTB wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

Cordless hair dryer?

I won’t have space in the trailer I am now needing to drag behind me :)
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Kajjal wrote:
    I won’t have space in the trailer I am now needing to drag behind me :)
    Don't take a trailer. That will inevitably have different sized wheels to your bike, requiring additional spare inner tubes; now you're going to have to find somewhere to carry those...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ctp046
    ctp046 Posts: 46
    I have these and haven't had too much difficulty getting them on.

Make sure both beads are in the centre groove as much as possible and they should go on.

Depends on your tire choice as well.