Thunderflies behind my screen

steve_sordy
steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
edited September 2018 in The hub
I live in a small village in the country. As a consequence we get plagues of insects at certain times of the year. Right now it's Thunderflies: extremely small thin flying insects (about half the length of the "l" here). They get everywhere, in your eyes, ears, behind your picture frames and they swarm onto anything yellow or white. They are released in their billions when the wheat is being harvested. :x

New first for me tonight. I have one behind the screen on my laptop. I thought I'd been hacked when I couldn't wipe it off the screen. How the hell do they get in there? And when they get into the gubbins, will they short anything out? :?:

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I've had one behind my Dell 24" monitor for the last 2 years, when I first saw it wandering about I thought the same as you, how the hell did that get in there.

Then it died and is still there. I've been farming all my life and are still amazed what nature can do.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steve_sordy
    It has wondered off the visible screen area and died. Thankfully their lives are short.

When they get behind the picture frames and die, they leave a stain that is out of all proportion to their size.

They also irritate my skin out of all proportion to their size too! I am scratching my scalp and the back of my ears right now. :(
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Would a can of compressed air blast them out? They probably got in along the hinge where the ribbon cable is attached.

I've replaced a few laptop screens (careless kids!) and the plastic frames that surround the actual screen are incredibly easy to remove.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • steve_sordy
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Would a can of compressed air blast them out? They probably got in along the hinge where the ribbon cable is attached.

I've replaced a few laptop screens (careless kids!) and the plastic frames that surround the actual screen are incredibly easy to remove.

Thanks for the suggestion and the news that job is an easy one. But seeing as they have wandered out of sight and everything is still working I'll leave well alone. "Don't fix what isn't broken!" :)

But then again there is "a stitch in time saves nine!" :(
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Son (works in IT support systems) passed on this to me.

While they are alive shine a bright light on the screen by the hinge (which is where they get in) they will head for the light and then often find their way back out by the hinge. They've been removing a fair few at work this week via this method.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've been crawling with the little b@stards on every ride recently. Winter barley's all harvested round here and the combines are moving into the oilseed rape and spring barley. Every new field brings another plague of the sodding things, and it's not helped by the fact I'm plastered in sun cream because of this mental heatwave.

How can something so tiny be so fcuking irritating? And why do they always end up where I can't easily get to them?
  • steve_sordy
    Hmm, I haven't been bothered by them when on my bike. I had thought it might be because I was nowhere near any wheat fields, but it could be because I use "Jungle Formula! Max strength insect repellent. Might be worth a try, it really does work.
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    I have one behind my desk top screen, looks like a coma!!
    All my life they have been a pest at this time of year, when I was working ( bricklayer ) they used to drive me nut's now its too late I am nut's I'm a biker. :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hmm, I haven't been bothered by them when on my bike. I had thought it might be because I was nowhere near any wheat fields, but it could be because I use "Jungle Formula! Max strength insect repellent. Might be worth a try, it really does work.
    If that's 50% DEET keep it away from any cycling tops you value as it will dissolve them.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    The Rookie wrote:
    If that's 50% DEET keep it away from any cycling tops you value as it will dissolve them.

I just checked and yes it is 50% DEET. I've been using Jungle Formula for years and I have seen no ill effects to me or my clothing. (It has rotted the paint from the can it comes in though).
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    They get everywhere, in your eyes, ears, behind your picture frames and they swarm onto anything yellow or white. :?:

There's your solution, turn off screen. Shine a white or yellow light to attract them.

.. Thankfully we don't get that shit down here, I've experienced midges, which sound similar, in kielder forest and it was unbearable.