Replacing rear wheel.

desthemoaner
desthemoaner Posts: 7
edited August 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All
New to the forum, not new to biking (40 years in the saddle, on and off) but new to bike DIY. Most ambitious thing I ever did was change the bottom bracket on an old racing bike, and I’m not sure it went that well. :shock:

I’ve got a 2005-ish Hardrock Sport that was my son’s originally, but is now mine on permanent loan for pleasure/ exercise biking on road tyres only.

Just had the bottom bracket and a worn chainwheel replaced by a local shop, but I think the rear wheel needs replacement also. The rim is heavily scored and the new brake blocks I’ve fitted don’t seem to have noticeably enhanced braking efficiency.

So...I’m looking for a recommendation to source the wheel and guidance about swapping over the various bits to get the bike up and running again. Doesn't need to be top spec, as i intend to buy a new bike next year.

I'm assuming that the gear cassette is easy to remove and refit without the need for special tools. However, without further research I’m in the dark here, and any tips will be gratefully received.

Comments

• keef66
      keef66 Posts: 13,123
      I'm assuming from your description it's a 26 inch wheel and V-brakes? All the top end MTB stuff is now disc brakes and funny sizes, but it shouldn't be hard to find a budget replacement 26" wheel?

Is it a quick release skewer / hollow axle, or a newer thru axle?

You'll need a cassette lockring tool and a big adjustable spanner, plus a chain whip to get the cassette off.
    • keef66
      keef66 Posts: 13,123
      https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Tru-Build-Shim ... _50304.htm

Any good? Or is £60 more than you were wanting to spend?
    • Many thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, its 26 inch and quick release with V brakes, but I'll take a photo and post it here to confirm.

£60 for the wheel would be fine. I have several big adjustable spanners, but I'll have to purchase the other tools.
    • Can't work out how to post images, unfortunately, nor can I locate anywhere on the forum where it tells you how.
      I've got as far as clicking Img on the edit panel, but don't know how to proceed from thereon.
    • billycool
      billycool Posts: 833
      To post pictures you'll need to put them somewhere like here:

http://tinypic.com/

Then post the links here so we can view them.

You just need to set up an account - it's free and easy to use.

I have some old Mavic 317's from my 2006 Stumpjumper - They are rim and disk compatable. I got mine converted to disc when I bought it, so it's never seen a V-brake. Rims are awesome - have been down BPW, Afan, Peaks and God knows where else. Fitted with Shimano rear hub M525. I'm now using Mavic 419's on Superstar Fuel hubs.

It's an option if you don't want to buy new.
      "Ride, crash, replace"
    • Many thanks for that.

I'll be going for new, but its very kind of you to offer. I'll look into sorting the pics out later on this evening.
    • cooldad
      cooldad Posts: 32,599
      I'm assuming that the gear cassette is easy to remove and refit without the need for special tools. However, without further research I’m in the dark here, and any tips will be gratefully received.

You'll need a chainwhip and cassette tool at a minimum.

And a chain tool, and a set of Allen keys.
        I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
      • cooldad wrote:

You'll need a chainwhip and cassette tool at a minimum.

And a chain tool, and a set of Allen keys.

Thanks to you also.

Still haven't managed to get those pictures sorted, but hope springs eternal.