Help required

roylovell
roylovell Posts: 4
edited August 2018 in Commuting general
Hi all,
Could anyone help with some advise please.

I have just purchased a cube hyde pro 2018 and it was supplied with schwalbe big apple types front and back. The problem with that is they are so big my feet catch the tyres when I turn sharply, which could be quite dangerous.
So was looking to change to a low profile option and was wondering what my best option would be. Would not like to spend more that £30 if possible but would like a nice one (preferably that doesn't spray water up in my face like my last tyre). Not purchased a front mudguard as yet lol.
Any help would be gratefully received.
My tyres say 29 (which I assu. E are the same as 700c)
Regards roy

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    You could try something like a Schwalbe Marathon 700x25 or 700x28 but I'm not sure smaller tyres will help that much to be honest. Before you spend any money, try pedaling with the ball of your foot rather than the centre. That should keep your toes out of the way. Clips/straps can help with this if you're not used to it, although it may still happen on slow, sharp turns. You also need to learn where to position your feet/cranks when turning, for example when turning right have your left foot back, and when turning left have your right foot back.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Nice bike!

Any tyre, even a completely slick one, will spray you with water if it's wet and you're going fast enough. As you've said, mudguards are the answer.

Many bikes, both of mine included, have toe overlap, but it isn't a problem when riding along because you don't really turn the front wheel very far. If you find yourself making sharp turns, try to freewheel with one pedal down, or as suggested above, with your forward foot on the inside of the turn.

Switching to skinnier tyres will give you a few extra mm clearance at best, at the expense of a harsher ride.
  • thanks guys and yes it is a great bike, the carbon belt and twist gears are awesome.

I am trying to get in the habit of pedaling more towards the ball of my foot but to be honest it doesn't make a huge amount of difference as the pedal is literally millimeters from the pedal qwhen turning also if I put half toe clips on it might catch even more.

I guess it will be muscle memory trying to remember not to pedal when turning, not easy when your just pulling off though at the lights.