Col d'Aubisque from Argeles Gazost - Open?

dabber
dabber Posts: 1,924
edited August 2018 in Tour & expedition
I'm trying to work out if the route up the Aubisque from Argeles Gazost (via Soulor) is open given the earlier landslides and collapsed road. I think that was all the Laruns side of the summit but I'm not entirely sure.
I'm not planning on descending the Laruns side.
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut

Comments

• shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    The Tour is going over it in a couple of days time, via Borderes, so I hope so!
  • dabber
    Yes, I realise that but saw this posted today on the Tour Rest Day thread and was apparently the state of the road yesterday.
    37649906_1117030095120664_5347241490475122688_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=47420a775785d1a519b7c2fdff14ca03&oe=5BD36165
    Looks like a lot of work still needed.

Just not sure where this is on the Col (I think it's the Laruns side).

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Having said that, I've just seen the picture in the thread linked below.... Maybe worth waiting until after the stage on Friday if you can!
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13094045
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Yes it's open in that direction, rode it last week. The issue was on the West Side.
  • dabber
    boblo wrote:
    Yes it's open in that direction, rode it last week. The issue was on the West Side.

Thanks boblo. Not there for a couple of weeks but the photos of the original damage looked pretty horrendous.

• cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    For what it's worth, reckon the Col du Spandelles > Soulour > Aubisque is the best way up, not sure if that helps.
  • dabber
    cgfw201 wrote:
    For what it's worth, reckon the Col du Spandelles > Soulour > Aubisque is the best way up, not sure if that helps.

An interesting suggestion. I guess that adds a fair few climbing feet and miles to the D918 route. For me the question is whether my rather ancient legs could handle it.

• dabber
    Just a further question if I may....
    I gather there is a fairly long tunnel (150 metres?) which is very dark and a bit dangerous... are lights needed, any tips (other than walking it).

• hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Dabber wrote:
    I gather there is a fairly long tunnel (150 metres?) which is very dark and a bit dangerous... are lights needed, any tips (other than walking it).

No the tunnel is fine to ride through.

Another route to consider is to follow the route the TdF took, turning off the Solour climb at Arrens en Lavedan and following the D103 to Estang. You then go over the Col de Borderes before re-joining the Solour climb with about 7kms to go. Much quieter and interesting than the main road option.

Enjoy...it's absolutely stunning.
  • dabber
    hugo15 wrote:
    Dabber wrote:

No the tunnel is fine to ride through.

Another route to consider is to follow the route the TdF took, turning off the Solour climb at Arrens en Lavedan and following the D103 to Estang. You then go over the Col de Borderes before re-joining the Solour climb with about 7kms to go. Much quieter and interesting than the main road option.

Enjoy...it's absolutely stunning.

Thanks for the feedback hugo15. Much appreciated. I've thought about the Borderes diversion but I'm not sure whether I'd be pushing myself too much. By a rough reckoning the diversion would add another 4 miles + 1300 feet of climbing. I've done Borderes as a virtual ride and I know there are pretty steep gradients on it.

As I confessed earlier, I'm an old s*d (71 in fact) so I need to be a bit sensible.
    Last year I did the Tourmalet and Luz Ardiden (on different days).

• boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    That Bourdes Gentleman's excuse me is well worth the effort. We rode Tourmalet, Hautacam, Aubisque, SUPERBAGNÈRES and Peyresourde and for me, the climb to the Bourdes was the best of the lot.

The tunnel is manky but you can get away without lights (we did) but a rear blinky would be a little safer.