Squealing brakes - AL rims - SwissStop Black pads

cmachine
cmachine Posts: 84
edited July 2018 in Workshop
I've got a problem with squealing brakes on my girlfriends bike. I believe it has SRAM Force brakes, SwissStop Original Black pads and they're DT Swiss 460 rims. I've already cleaned the rims down with isopropyl alcohol to get off any contamination. I haven't really done anything to the pads. I would normally use SwissStop Blue but the Blacks came with the bike. Any further ideas? I haven't tried to take a layer off the pads but that's more something I would associate with disc brake pads. I don't think it's anything to do with the way brakes are setup as they're both doing it. Also they were fine to begin with. Thanks.
2006 Specialized Hardrock Disc (rebuilt)
2011 BeOne Karma Hardtail (disassembled!)
2012 Giant Anthem X4

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If the rims and pads are properly cleaned they likely just need toeing in a wee bit...
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • cmachine
    Svetty wrote:
    If the rims and pads are properly cleaned they likely just need toeing in a wee bit...

Is there an advised way to clean rim brake pads? I would normally use fine grain sandpaper on disc pads
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    cmachine wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

Is there an advised way to clean rim brake pads? I would normally use fine grain sandpaper on disc pads

That would also work well for rim brake blocks. I just put the sandpaper sheet flat on the bench and rub the block across it a couple of times, then pick out any stray bits of alu for good measure.
  • Livewire
    Livewire Posts: 91
    A good tip for setting your pads so they toe in slightly is to loosen off the bolt holding the pad in place, put a credit/debit card between the pad and rim (only between half the pad leaving the front 50% of the pad without the card between) hold your brake lever in tightly and then tighten the bolt to re-secure the pad. Then adjust the barrel adjuster so your pads are the required distance from the rim.

I always do this when running carbon rims to reduce or hopefully eliminate any squeal.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    These are great for cleaning brake tracks. I use water with a splash of Fairy Liquid as a lube. Easier to control than wet & dry paper.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garryson-Garry ... B0001P08UG

I find most squealing is from contamination when washing the bike. I used to use car shampoo with added waxes but this caused terrible squealing all the time. Now just washing up liquid on rims.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• cmachine
    thanks all so far. The pads are SRAM SwissStop Black. I normally use a bike cleaner like Fenwicks Bike Cleaner concentrate or Muc-Off but so far this bike hasn't been washed, so I can only assume the contamination has come from chain lube as nothing else been used on it. I thought the IPA would've cleared the noise but I guess something is still on the pads. Odd though that it's ended up on BOTH wheels. I've never had these SRAM force brakes before but they seem to allow wheel removal without flipping the brake release lever up...unless the guy that fitted them has set them up wrong.
    2012 Giant Anthem X4