Talk to me About Tandems & Kids

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
Ok.

I can't afford a bakfiets, which i really, really want, on the Cycle2Work scheme, so i'm looking at alternatives to get a 6 year old to cover 5 miles, and a 4 year old on a seat.

Ideas, suggestions etc welcome, especially if they come in under £1k for Cycle 2 work.

Go!
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• wolfsbane2k
    Ah, i've found that i can get a Followme Tandem on Cycle2work, and another more suitable child seat.
    Probably the easiest option, but i've enjoyed reading about kiddyback tandems, just not the cost....
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    sorry - don't look in here - follow me tandem - you'll love it - if you want to see one in the flesh just shout - 6 year old riding 5 miles - they should be able to do that themselves - or is it dodgy roads - in which case totally appreciate keeping them under control! It'll be hard going with a 4yo on a seat too - can't you link 2 follow me's ... ;)
  • wolfsbane2k
    Slowbike wrote:
    sorry - don't look in here - follow me tandem - you'll love it - if you want to see one in the flesh just shout - 6 year old riding 5 miles - they should be able to do that themselves - or is it dodgy roads - in which case totally appreciate keeping them under control! It'll be hard going with a 4yo on a seat too - can't you link 2 follow me's ... ;)

Yeah, a 6 year old should be able to ride 5 miles by themselves, but not at the speed I want/need to be travelling at to make things work. Doesn't help that due to 4yr old not wanting to ride at all, I'm not able to get the 6year old out any where near as much as I want to so that they are still on stabilisers :-(

I've seen one in the flesh before, even ordered one but had to cancel because of poor forward thinking....
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    The follow me tandem rocks, and superb you can buy one on c2w.

Expensive, but solid, secure, and keeps the childs bike flat and stable, unlike any of the other cheaper alternatives.

I'd allow about an hour to fit, maybe 30 second time around - oh and my recommendation is to wrap the downtube on the childs bike (Once you know what area the 'bracket' will mount on to get the front wheel up enough) with innertube first.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Slowbike wrote:

Yeah, a 6 year old should be able to ride 5 miles by themselves, but not at the speed I want/need to be travelling at to make things work. Doesn't help that due to 4yr old not wanting to ride at all, I'm not able to get the 6year old out any where near as much as I want to so that they are still on stabilisers :-(

I've seen one in the flesh before, even ordered one but had to cancel because of poor forward thinking....

Ah - fair enough :) Follow Me will suit well - and allow you the child seat - plenty going s/h on FB market place
  • wolfsbane2k
    Slowbike wrote:

Ah - fair enough :) Follow Me will suit well - and allow you the child seat - plenty going s/h on FB market place

Yeah, I had a Saferide for a while with minime 1, but they grew out of it WAY before they were 3, at which point kiddo 1 should have moved to something else, but minime 2 just didn't like it at all, so everything ground to a halt in terms of family riding.

With the new bike for kiddo 2 at the weekend, they've shown interest in riding (yay), so will hopefully be able to get every one out again, and have a functional "I'm too tired" option.

Yes, probably second to a bakfiets, i think I'd have a kiddyback tandem with the followme fitted, but new kiddybacks are extortionate..
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Second tour with a followme-tandem coming up shortly (3.5 days time driving down towards ferry). Or 5 year old might not go on it all tour, except when at the ports, but we'll still take it just in case.

Last year it was a battle getting him back on it but occasionally he asked to go on it when tired. Plus sometimes he just wanted to ride with his Daddy.

Either way the followme-tandems was the best thing we've bought for family cycling. This summer it's on my partner's but it may be tried on my recumbent too. That's if riding it fully loaded feels OK.