Install Di2 without removing BB

wahla21
wahla21 Posts: 96
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Hi all,

Hopefully I am not double posting but couldn't quite find an answer to my question.

I got hold of a Shimano R8070 disc Di2 groupset and really fancy installing it on my bike myself.
I have a Giant TCR ready for internal routing. Currently have Ultegra mechanical with discs on it.

Do I need to remove the bottom bracket in order to route all the junction boxes and cables? If so, I guess I will leave it to my LBS but really would like to do this myself!

Cheers all!

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    why are you worried aboutremoving the b/b?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • wahla21

Not worried, just don't have the tools required.
    Just asking.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    wahla21 wrote:

Just asking.

You could probably buy the tools to remove the B.B. for a few quid. A fraction of the price of getting someone to fit your group set.

Then you can enjoy fettling to your hearts content :)
  • vinny155
    vinny155 Posts: 20
    There are 2 tabs screwed on externally under the bottom bracket area,this is where the cables are routed for mecanical,I imagine the di2 cables will take the same route.You cannot remove the tabs without slackening off the cables to front/rear derailleur
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    wahla21 wrote:

Just asking.

just buy the tools - you can then do this little job, change the b/b when it needs to be changed, and so on.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • wahla21
    Thanks all!
    Looks like I would have to buy 2 different tools, one for removal and one for inserting again... ?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Vinny155 wrote:
    There are 2 tabs screwed on externally under the bottom bracket area,this is where the cables are routed for mecanical,I imagine the di2 cables will take the same route.You cannot remove the tabs without slackening off the cables to front/rear derailleur

NO. Di2 cables go inside on an integral cabled bike. You definitely wouldn't run them down the inside of the downtube and thread them through the cable guide under the BB.

The single long cable from Junction box A (whichever type you use) simply goes along the donwtube to Junction box B housed in the BB area. Cables from the internal battery and front and rear derailleurs then simply plug into Junction box B. With everything connected, you push Junction box B away from the BB housing to either up the seat tube or back up the downtube, so you can fit the BB. Make sure you install the BB sleeve too.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • StillGoing
    wahla21 wrote:
    Thanks all!
    Looks like I would have to buy 2 different tools, one for removal and one for inserting again... ?

Same tool to remove and install.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    philthy3 wrote:
    wahla21 wrote:
    Thanks all!

Same tool to remove and install.

Not if it's a press-fit BB
  • wahla21
    It’s press fit yes
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    you can buy a really cool bearing press from Wheels mfring and then look for bearings to change with it :)

or alternately you can buy a press with a blank for various bottom bracket standards for about £40.

or both :)

Tooltastic
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    You don’t need to remove the BB to install Di2, so long as you have a small access port by the BB.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560
    I have a BB press fit type.
    I have swapped group sets 2 or 3 times and I have the reinsertion tool but not the extraction.
    Extracting a PF BB is fiddly in my experience but doable , the problem is if you use the sleeve you can’t get the to inside so to speak.
    If I swap groups I tend to just buy a new B.B. and pull the other one out regardless.
  • wahla21
    I am not swapping chainset so was thinking and hoping to avoid the bb extraction...
  • StillGoing
    Take the bike to your LBS and ask them to remove the BB. Take the bike away and install your Di2. Take it back to the LBS and ask them to refit the BB or buy a cheap BB press off of eBay and refit it yourself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Burton-Bikes ... ppS7DcdQqw