Wheel decal removal

shipley
shipley Posts: 549
edited July 2018 in Workshop
I have an old pair of Saturae C50 carbon clinchers and would like to remove the decals. They don’t appear to be stickers so I don’t think a hairdryer would work. I’ve tried acetone (nail polish remover) but that had no effect.

I don’t want to compromise the structural integrity of the wheels with paint stripper etc.

(Example of th decals here...https://www.rutlandcycling.com/282707/p ... imano.aspx)

Does anyone have any other ideas ??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Presumably they are waterslide decals under a layer of clearcoat. So unless you are prepared to dismantle the wheels, remove the clearcoat from the entire wheel surface area and then refinish them afterwards, then I'm inclined to say it's not worth it.
  • shipley
    They are Matt carbon so I’m not sure there is cleacoat unless it’s applied just to the decals. Shame, they are a bit lairy and I’d prefer a blacked out look
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    it'll be matt clearcoat then, uncoated resin tends to be vulnerable to uv degradation

you could try sanding it off, then respray with an external clearcoat, alternative is airbrush to hide/mute them
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • shipley
    Ah, that sounds like more effort than it’s worth then.