BB removal after loctite has been used

tbloke
tbloke Posts: 109
edited August 2018 in Workshop
I have just purchased a used addict SL with campag super record and want to change the crank out for my power meter but it appears the cups have been glued in to the frame, any tips on getting them out without causing damage?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    leverage

it'll be loctite blue that is really easy you remove.

just use some muscle and if needs be, a long lever.

should take 30 seconds.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Sometimes a degree of impact helps to break the bond. A sharp tap with a hammer on to a lever will probably do the trick.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Is this not a press-fit BB? (my Scott CR1-SL is) The above suggest ways of freeing a threaded BB.

Either way, the application of some gentle heat may help soften the Loctite
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    Big discussion on Weight Weenies about this at the moment. I wouldn’t use heat though.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 7#p1417857
  • tbloke
    tbloke Posts: 109
    Mr_Mojo wrote:
    Big discussion on Weight Weenies about this at the moment. I wouldn’t use heat though.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 7#p1417857

Thanks for that. That is actually also my thread lol. If you look at the last post you will see I have managed to sort it and the tools I eventually used to get it out.
  • mr_mojo
    I've been read through the weightweenies post a few times now as I need to removed the cups from my Cipollini. I fitted them with Loctite so they'll either slip out with no resistance as the Loctite didn't hold or be stuck in never to be removed again.
    Calnago seems to know his stuff and seems to be thought of in high regards so I'm using his advice.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Mr_Mojo wrote:
    I've been read through the weightweenies post a few times now as I need to removed the cups from my Cipollini. I fitted them with Loctite so they'll either slip out with no resistance as the Loctite didn't hold or be stuck in never to be removed again.
    Calnago seems to know his stuff and seems to be thought of in high regards so I'm using his advice.

youd be better off using his hammer :)
  • mr_mojo
    Cups removed, was easy. Used the Park Tool remover and a big hammer, couple of good hits and it fired out. BB Infinite module fitted so see how that is.