Relinking chain on 24 speed

Ditlan
Ditlan Posts: 19
edited July 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey, so fitted a new derailleur to my mates bike as the old one had a worn away nub that held it in place.

It's one symptom of many on this bike, needs a few other bits replacing too.

Anyway, I watched a video on using a chain breaker, which just suggested pushing back in the existing rivet after you have done the work. I discovered on a ride today how temporary this is supposed to be as the chain broke.

So I'm just looking to repair the chain for now until it goes in for service next Wednesday, but I'm a bit confused as to what I need to fix it.

I was looking at the speed links, but they dont seem to exist for a 24 speed chain (3 front, 8 rear) - no problem if I cant buy one of these but if so what do I need to repair the chain?

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    The chain is an 8 speed chain - which differs by an n speed chain by its width. All 8 speed chains are the same. You can re-assemble the chain but you need a special 'rivet' which is longer and snaps off. Better is to go to Halfords and get a quick link for an 8 speed chain - you don't need any rivets.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Ditlan
    Lovely, I was beginning to suspect that the 'speed' of the chain must be defined by the rear cassette - thanks for confirming.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can get quick links, but they are usually labelled as 7 speed which are the same part as for an 8 (same chain width).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Ditlan
    figbat wrote:
    Wiggle delivers.

Cheers,

I was going to try and pick one up locally, but cant find stock anywhere, so delivery it is!
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Ditlan wrote:
    Anyway, I watched a video on using a chain breaker, which just suggested pushing back in the existing rivet after you have done the work. I discovered on a ride today how temporary this is supposed to be as the chain broke.
    ?

Generally modern bike chains have the pins swaged over, ie flattened, so it stops them coming out.

When you push the pin, you reshape the end so chances are when pushed back, it is likely to fall.

With shimano chains, there is a special pin that should be used or as has been mentioned, a quick link.

The old fashioned way would be to swage the end of the pin.