TDF 2019, Stage 21: Houilles > Paris Champs-Élysées 29/07/2018 - 116 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited October 2018 in Pro race
Houilles > Paris Champs-Élysées 29/07/2018 - Stage 21 - 116 km

At 116 kilometres, stage 21 travels from Houilles to Paris to conclude with eight laps on the Champs-Élysées.

A Champs-Élysées victory should be on the resume of the greatest sprinters. Mark Cavendish took four stage wins in Paris, yet it’s been five editions since his last win. In 2013 and 2014 Marcel Kittel powered to victory, while another German was fastest in 2015 and 2016: André Greipel. Last year, young gun Dylan Groenewegen bested the field.

stage-21-route.jpg

stage-21-profile.jpg?22

stage-21-circuit.jpg?01

stage-21-1km.png

Favourites 21st stage 2018 Tour de France

*** Alexander Kristoff, Arnaud Démare
** Peter Sagan, Magnus Cort Nielsen, John Degenkolb, Edvald Boasson Hagen
* Sonny Cobrelli, Andrea Pasqualon, Christophe Laporte, Timothy Dupont

No definitive stage timings as yet.

The team hotels for the post race parties.

stage-21-hotel.jpg?01

This is the best I can managed today.
I have a wedding this afternoon and won't have a chance otherwise, until tomorrow, close to race time.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    tdf_adt_zpsca83fd86.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,212
    I’ve asked on the Tour spectators thread with no luck, can someone recommend a decent place to watch on the finish circuit please? Preferably somewhere less crowded so I don’t have to stand on the barriers hours in advance? I was thinking of watching them come through the Bois de Boulogne but suspect I’ll then struggle to get onto the circuit with a chance of seeing anything.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    and thanks for the threads...what an odd tour eh
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    A surprising but not unwelcome result.
    Did anyone predict either of the first two for GC in PTP?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406

Likewise- cheers Blazing! Made it much easier to work out when to go out for a ride & not miss anything important. Still messed it up & ended up in Merthyr MaccyD's on the Col du Portet stage mind
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    As well as the sterling work on setting up spoiler threads by Blazing, thanks to everyone who's been posting various updates through the Tour. This has once again been the most comprehensive, least bickeratious, and satisfyingly humorous place to catch up with what's going on. Having people bring in stuff from outside the Anglophone arena was particularly welcome - it's good to get a wider view.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    edited July 2018
    As well as the sterling work on setting up spoiler threads by Blazing, thanks to everyone who's been posting various updates through the Tour. This has once again been the most comprehensive, least bickeratious, and satisfyingly humorous place to catch up with what's going on. Having people bring in stuff from outside the Anglophone arena was particularly welcome - it's good to get a wider view.
    + 1 to this, and your own fab additions to this parade. More felicitations to come. Respect to the work you have put in. It is appreciated and love and peace to you all from the lovers of the best race on the planet.
    And bickeratious is a great word 8)
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Another big thank you to Saddles for these thread openers :D
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Pross wrote:
    I’ve asked on the Tour spectators thread with no luck, can someone recommend a decent place to watch on the finish circuit please? Preferably somewhere less crowded so I don’t have to stand on the barriers hours in advance? I was thinking of watching them come through the Bois de Boulogne but suspect I’ll then struggle to get onto the circuit with a chance of seeing anything.

Rue de Rivoli around the red kite on the left hand side of the road. Plenty of space on the left side of the road when I was there a couple of years back. Even got hit in the face with a handful of gels.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Anyone want to answer pros? I’m already in France and I know a few more just coming out to see sporting history for wales, perhaps the greatest day in welsh sporting history.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Thanks Blazing for all your work on the stage threads.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yep, great threads this year, and have we got away with a bit less trolling than normal? Is it the heat? The world cup? Who knows!
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

Rue de Rivoli around the red kite on the left hand side of the road. Plenty of space on the left side of the road when I was there a couple of years back. Even got hit in the face with a handful of gels.

Thanks for that, is that the gardens side?
  • Pross
    I hope it’s drier in Paris than in Brittany!

Any more info on stage timings yet?

Thanks for the stage threads Blazing, top job again.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Thanks for that, is that the gardens side?

Yes, you are along from Norwegian corner which is packed bad before the left/right flick which is also very popular. The riders come wuite close and I was amazed how few people were there. Enjoy!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Watched in 2012 from the end of the Tuileries overlooking the Place de la Concorde. It was a decent view, including sight of a big screen, although not close to the action.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,223
    I hope Froome gives Thomas some advice on how to enjoy it.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Great threads which definitely add to experience when watching stages. Thanks for all the work getting them here
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    For those of us still half-expecting/fearing Thomas to somehow crash out of contention, where are they taking the end of the GC race this year? I seem to recall that in previous years they've extended the 3km rule?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Indeed. I am already cringing at the thought of the team no hands champagne moment
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I am glad Tom has split the two sky riders as it eliminates any team order shenanigans today...

Unless having "won* the tour, geraint does a gimmi to Froomey just before the line to get him in the record books.
    Half man, Half bike
  • rick_chasey
    For those of us still half-expecting/fearing Thomas to somehow crash out of contention, where are they taking the end of the GC race this year? I seem to recall that in previous years they've extended the 3km rule?

Doesn’t matter.

Even if he falls they’ll give him the same time.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    RonB wrote:
    Indeed. I am already cringing at the thought of the team no hands champagne moment

i hate that too.

its way too smug
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    RonB wrote:

i hate that too.

its way too smug

I read that as RonB being worried about Thomas falling off - not looking smug. But would agree that it’s not only smug but naff. Akin to the ‘nibbling the side of your medal’ shot that has become compulsory after award ceremonies.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Hope the weather is better than in Yorkshire, just back from supporting a mate doing a 12 hour TT (he climbed off after 100 miles). It is truly horrendous out there!
  • Pross
    Dry, warm and sunny here but the wind is picking up. Feels like either a crosswind from the left on the finish straight or headwind but it’s gusting and swirling. Surprised how quiet it is.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    Dry, warm and sunny here but the wind is picking up. Feels like either a crosswind from the left on the finish straight or headwind but it’s gusting and swirling. Surprised how quiet it is.

Welcome to a big city ;). Seen it all before.

It’ll fill up when they arrive - few hours to go.

Enjoy yourself mate. Must feel great down there.
  • Pross
    Having a relaxing sit down in the park eating my weight in churros!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!