All DB5 pads the same?

david7m
david7m Posts: 636
edited July 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello
Can't find any pad threads :roll:
Are all the offerings basically the same pad with their own branding on?
Was at BPW yesterday and front performance was poor. I'd bled them before going and replaced pads mid day - Aztec sintered.
Reading about on materials it seems sintered were correct for the terrible conditions.
Now looking on eBay for pads and they basically all the same price and I can't find any info on which brand to go for?
Cheers,
Dave

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Just fitted Uber Race Matrix, came recommended by a lot of people, very happy with them, noticeably more stopping power than the stock SRAM pads.
  • david7m
    Cheers, I've ordered some!
    Dave
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    No, there are different materials: kevlar, ceramic, metallic to name a few plus the backing is steel but for some can be aluminium.

The friction materials have different properties, some are long wearing but tend to be less effective at stopping whereas others stop well at the expense of wearing quickly.

I haven't experimented with different compounds to give any advice on what is best for you.
  • david7m
    I meant is a sintered Aztec the same as sintered Nuke Proof.
    Dave
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Ah, gotcha. No eye deer.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    JGTR wrote:
    Just fitted Uber Race Matrix, came recommended by a lot of people, very happy with them, noticeably more stopping power than the stock SRAM pads.

Like them in the front brake but not sure about them on the rear might fit some semi metallic pads again. Think its the brakes as sometimes these xts i got are either on or off with the braking power.