Cyclist Syndrome - Pudendal Nerve Pain

Gringo74
Gringo74 Posts: 14
edited January 2019 in Training, fitness and health
Have been diagnosed by two physios and my GP as having Pudendal Nerve Neuropathy. Have had it for one year now. I stopped cycling a few weeks after it came on so the one year anniversary of zero cycling.

Thought I would put this out to the forum to ask a very specific question; has anyone had this and recovered?

I realise that some folks would like to help or might have questions but I'm really just looking for responses from people who have recovered from Pudendal Nerve Pain.

Thanks

Comments

• oxoneil
    oxoneil Posts: 147
    In a nutshell I too have this. I self diagnosed after a 200km audax at the end of May and went to see a physio a few weeks later after my GP said my prostate was good.

TBH all I've done is get some SLR Superflow saddles and carried on cycling, not 200km rides but have done 4 hours a few times. I've determined cycling does not make the symptoms worse, in fact, quite often the opposite, it's just general sitting which aggravates it.

Symptoms? Hyper sensitivity around my urethra and in my rectum, some days worse than others. The first physio session resulted with me leaving with pelvic floor relaxation exercises which don't seem to be taking effect yet but it's a nerve problem so I guess it won't be a quick fix.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Thought I had it. But turned out to be something else.

I couldn't sit down for six weeks, without all burning pain 'down there' - was off a traditional road bike for 3 years - the upside was I got to try recumbent bikes - which were serious fun - and don't think they are all old slow things some of them have 700c deep section carbon wheels !

I would give them a go if you are desperate to get back on two (or even 3 !) Wheels !

PM me if you want more info
  • Hi, think I’ve cone down with this around 6 weeks ago after banging the area on the nose of a saddle pretty hard. How is everyone’s symptoms now? Much improvement? I’ve not cycled now since it’s happened in a hope it will heal.
  • kingrollo
    Hi, think I’ve cone down with this around 6 weeks ago after banging the area on the nose of a saddle pretty hard. How is everyone’s symptoms now? Much improvement? I’ve not cycled now since it’s happened in a hope it will heal.

Pudendal nerve injury is very rare - I don't know but doubt you would damage it on a one off - from what I read it gets damaged from constant pressure in that area.

You might have a stress fracture or something. I would go to your GP to get it checked out.
  • kingrollo wrote:
    Hi, think I’ve cone down with this around 6 weeks ago after banging the area on the nose of a saddle pretty hard. How is everyone’s symptoms now? Much improvement? I’ve not cycled now since it’s happened in a hope it will heal.

Pudendal nerve injury is very rare - I don't know but doubt you would damage it on a one off - from what I read it gets damaged from constant pressure in that area.

You might have a stress fracture or something. I would go to your GP to get it checked out.

GP said i'd bruised my Prostrate Gland, and likely there was no nerve damage. I was then referred to a Physio who said it was a tight pelvic floor muscle. So quite complicated!! Two outcomes, yet similar symptoms.

End of the day cycling is off until it's healed. If it is muscular/nerves that ain't gonna happen overnight!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo wrote:

GP said i'd bruised my Prostrate Gland, and likely there was no nerve damage. I was then referred to a Physio who said it was a tight pelvic floor muscle. So quite complicated!! Two outcomes, yet similar symptoms.

End of the day cycling is off until it's healed. If it is muscular/nerves that ain't gonna happen overnight!

Get yourself to a yoga class - or do a daily stretching regime - the bruise you can't do much about. But the tightness will and can easily be sorted.