Buy now or wait a couple of months?

the_hundredth_idiot
the_hundredth_idiot Posts: 813
edited August 2018 in Commuting chat
A Ride 2 Work voucher (for Evans) has just hit my inbox. Not that I need another bike, of course, but N+1 is a universal law which cannot be ignored ... 8)

The voucher expires on 25 October. Presumably, the 2017 bikes will be discounted later in the summer in anticipation of the 2018 bikes?

I kind of know that's true and I should wait, but the voucher is burning a hole in my pocket and I'm already browsing Evans website for ideas.

Any ideas when the sales usually start to help me put it to the back of my mind?
Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Same boat myself actually, although my voucher hasn't arrived yet.

I think I'm just going to pull the trigger straight away though, as it tends to be the smaller or larger sizes in the sales... so if there's something in particular you have your eye on and you need a medium or large I'd buy now. Not sure when the Evans sale usually starts mind you. Plus, is it not brand specific, as all brands don't release their new bikes on the same day? Dunno, it's been ages since I bought off the shelf rather than build my own :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    If there's a bike out there now that you really want and seems a reasonable price then go for it as otherwise you could miss it and regret it.

If not, maybe hang on and wait for the really good deals to come along.
  • No particular bike model or brand, just a type of bike that I'm interested in. I'll hang on a month or so to see if discount signs start appearing.
    :)
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    What type of specs are looking for?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Popped into my local Evans at lunchtime and spotted their sale appears to have started. I had a bit of a browse and I think I know what I'm going to buy (Specialized Pitch Expert - I don't have a MTB except for an old rigid, steel, 1990s heap) and as my kids are getting older, I can see me doing a bit more off road stuff with them.