First mountain bike, could do with some advice. Rockrider 540

BenUK
BenUK Posts: 7
edited July 2018 in MTB buying advice
I used to ride bikes all the time, long story short I became very ill, 7 years later I'm feeling well enough to jump back on a bike with fitness and very simple trails in mind. Not looking to spend a fortune right off the bat, want to make sure it's something I see enjoy and ease myself back into it. If I catch the biking bug again, I can always upgrade

I've got my eye on the Rockrider 540 - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-5 ... 79537.html
Reviews I've read all seem positive. It's a budget bike, my expectations are inline with that.

Can some of you more experienced members look at the spec, the price, and let me know what you think

[*] Not interested in a hybrid
[*] I don't drive and nothing locally catches my fancy so second hand is off the table

Cheers
Ben

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Go for it.
  • BenUK
    Go for it.

I'm super tempted, it's sitting on my basket ready to go. Just wanted to make sure its not going to fall apart when I take it up the road :D
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    They certainly seem the best at the given price point.

Halfords have the Carrera Vendetta and Vengeance on sale at the moment for the same sort of cash, but I think you get a better bike and better service/after sales from Decathlon.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Chunkers1980
    No - it's one of the best entry proper MTBs. It'll be pretty strong. It just falls into the Cheap, light, strong pick only 2 thingy.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    An entry level bike is just that - it will do a job and get you out riding.

Make sure you have a go on it (don't just stand over it) but actually see how it feels. The right size and fit are very important.

Happy shopping.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • BenUK
    Just went a head and bought it, can't wait for it to arrive. Might not be the best bike in the world but it will do to get me going again. Riding in this current UK weather is going to be killer that's for sure

Thanks for the help
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    BenUK wrote:
    Just went a head and bought it, can't wait for it to arrive. Might not be the best bike in the world but it will do to get me going again. Riding in this current UK weather is going to be killer that's for sure

Thanks for the help

If you can force yourself then get up for a 5 am bike ride - lovely at that time.

Don't forget to buy some spares and a under seat bag. Water bottle, mini pump, spare tube or repair kit, tyre levers and multi tool to tighten things up on the trail. Good luck and enjoy.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • BenUK
    FishFish wrote:
    BenUK wrote:

Thanks for the help

If you can force yourself then get up for a 5 am bike ride - lovely at that time.

Don't forget to buy some spares and a under seat bag. Water bottle, mini pump, spare tube or repair kit, tyre levers and multi tool to tighten things up on the trail. Good luck and enjoy.

I grabbed a few spare tubes, I'm a little sceptical though as it was 2 for £3. From Decathlon as well and the reviews seem good, just have to wait and see. Used to be able to change tubes without any tools, just depends how tight the tyre is and how strong I'm feeling :D

Got a light bag I can throw a pump in, water etc.. Multi-tool is a good shout. I do have one but it could literally be anywhere, not seen it in 7 years
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    For the money I can’t see you finding anything better brand new. Hydraulic discs on a bike that cheap are a good find and the forks will be ok. You’ve got a good spread of gears to get up steep stuff and Shimano stuff is pretty good all the way down the range.

I’ve only read pretty good things about rockriders so it should get you going. If you get the bug you could always upgrade the forks which would be the first thing to hold you back. I’m not sure if it’s got a straight steerer or tapered which could be the only issue with that route.
  • BenUK
    Just went out for a little test ride, 15 minutes or so, I've just noticed there is some fluid on the forks. Is that normal or could there be a problem? It's not a lot but enough for me to notice. Maybe there is supposed to be some?
  • Chunkers1980
    Depends where it is. If it's leaking and oozing down the fork then there is a problem. If it's on the stanchion and you are just able to see it 9perhaps attracting dust) then it is fine as that'll be lube from the seals and normal
  • BenUK
    Depends where it is. If it's leaking and oozing down the fork then there is a problem. If it's on the stanchion and you are just able to see it 9perhaps attracting dust) then it is fine as that'll be lube from the seals and normal

Just on the stanchion, a few small rings from where the forks have been moving up and down. It's not oozing, nothing like that
  • Chunkers1980
    Normal then. The seals are full of oil and leave a residue as they move.