Shimano Banjo bolt Fitment

bobbydigital
bobbydigital Posts: 254
edited July 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought some m785 brakes from the ebay and the rear is leaking where the hose meets the insert.

It is a banjo bolt style hose, bh-90 and upon removal there is no olive.

Can I just use a "normal" bh90 olive or do I need a specific one for the banjo bolt assembly?

I'm quite happy to cut hoses and reinstall it all just never done the banjo stuff, used to the same connections at both ends.

118239_1_Zoom.jpg

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No should just be standard olive and new barb.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Shimano banjo hoses are crimped on, you cannot fit one yourself. The photo you posted is after market, probably good ridge or hope.

From memory there is a small o ring either side of the banjo which will cause leaks when damaged. Note shimano brakes use mineral oil not dot brake fluid, the stuff used in cars.
  • 02gf74
    This is what you need

Shimano Deore XT BR-M785 O-Ring for Banjo - Y8SY28000
  • bobbydigital
    I have the O rings and that part doesn't leak, the barb connector is just pushed on to the hose, there is no crimp/olive that's been crushed.

I will try a bh90 olive and see.
    Seems to be made by Tensile, who ever they are and the kit comes with an olive, but not sure which one.

YQOHOFH.jpg
  • 02gf74
    edited July 2018
    A push in fitting does not seem clever as there is a fair bit of pressure when brakes are applied.

Any reason why you cannot buy shimano hose with the banjo fitting already crimped on?

Is that a yeti bike?
  • bobbydigital
    No it is a steel 29er, on one inbred.

It's just the fact I bought them on ebay as working items, I am trying to compromise with the seller over "repair" costs and if it is a £1 olive vs £18 line I won't be out of pocket.

The way the bard is designed the hose goes pass the outer threads and sits inside some of the thread housing, it pretty much replicates the opposite end of the hose that enters the lever so I reckon a normal olive will work, you essentially have a normal bh90 insert with a banjo look on the end. Fingers crossed.
  • 02gf74
    I think I see, the banjo fitting is two part, the banjo which inserts into the hose and a collar which screws onto it.

Yes, very likely that a shimano type olive will do the job.

If you have trouble getting one, for the price of stamp, I can pop a couple in the post for you.
  • bobbydigital
    Thank you but I have ordered some and will see.