Which should I choose?

hexbugspider
hexbugspider Posts: 38
edited July 2018 in MTB beginners
Hey guys I'm 13 and I live on the isle of wight. I'm 5"9 and I'm interested into getting in mountain biking. I currently have an old Ridgeback which I use as my weapon of choice for my paper round. But now I want something for off road, I have 2 jobs and will hopefully be able to scrap around £600 before the end of the holidays. Two options are the voodoo bizango 2018 or the calibre bossnut V2, ones and hard tail and ones a full Sus. I really can't decide which one to get, the voodoo is currently £520 and the calibre is £899. Living on the island means I have a decent MTB park and loads of trails both technical and smooth. Please could anyone advise me on my descision?

Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't really go wrong with either at the prices.

I'd go for the Bossnut if you can afford it, but maintenance could be a a bit higher as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Is there anything on the IOW that warrants a FS?
    If not there's your answer!"
  • Sniper68 wrote:
    The trails at the MTB centre have huge jumps and rocky terrain which calls for a full suspension? no?..
  • Or should I get a voodoo canzo 2016 for £600?
  • Tone C
    Tone C Posts: 30
    Just remember a British cycling membership costs about £22 and gets you 10 % off at Halfords for a year...so that gets you £52 off as a starter...

Plus 10% off Chain Reaction Cycles and Evans. But check the conditions.
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    Without a doubt I would choose the Calibre Bossnut V2 of the two you selected. You have to spend 800 and above to get a decent shock fork and that one comes with a highly reviewed shock fork, anything cheaper and the shock fork won't perform right for technical terrain.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Sniper68 wrote:
    The trails at the MTB centre have huge jumps and rocky terrain which calls for a full suspension? no?..
    No.Not necessarily.
    Dirt jump bikes are HTs.Dirt jump parks have nothing but huge jumps.
    You don’t need a FS for jumps or rocky trails.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I can't see anything on the video or photos from the MTB centre that suggest an FS is needed at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I have both, much prefer the FS for all riding, more comfortable and better traction. Always use my FS for long rides as less fatiguing.