Why so competitive?

13»

Comments

• davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 468
    We really need some competition for Strava, with segments based on average power from real power meters, where riders are also using a hrm.

We then eliminate all this drafting, wind assistance and motor assistance nonsense.;)

We might also eliminate all those silly small segments and false cat climb segments.
    Nah, it would only get sillier. You'd get arguments over whose power meter is the most accurate, whether they were cheating the heart rate data and who knows what other shenanigans will be thought up to defeat whatever algorithm is used to decide who is the best.

At the end of the day, if you want to race then race properly, anything else isn't real.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    We really need some competition for Strava, with segments based on average power from real power meters, where riders are also using a hrm.

We then eliminate all this drafting, wind assistance and motor assistance nonsense.;)

We might also eliminate all those silly small segments and false cat climb segments.
    If only there was some way of getting a large group of cyclists together and finding out who was fastest over a given distance :lol::lol::lol:
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    trek_dan wrote:

If only there was some way of getting a large group of cyclists together and finding out who was fastest over a given distance :lol::lol::lol:

I think finally this post has come round to the point I was trying to make initially :-)
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    ben@31 wrote:
    cld531c wrote:
    Anyone else out there fed up with how competitive 'recreational' cycling has become?
    I understand it if people are training for TTs or races but if you are not racing why be so competitive?
    The amount of people I see half killing themselves on the road or bragging about their (usually over inflated) average speeds is getting absurd. Also, the average ride seems to be about 20-25 miles.
    Whilst I admit I do sometimes enjoy pootling alongside someone who has killed themselves trying to overtake when they refuse to (or cant) talk, it would be nice if there were more 'normal' people out there who enjoy riding for ridings sake.
    Is it because I started cycling pre-Strava that I find this so strange? Anyone with me?

Could be worse... Just wait for the weirdos to start stalking your achievements on Strava !

The peak stalker behaviour was when he went out of his way just so he could beat your distance by 1km and drive somewhere hilly enough to beat your ascent by a few metres.

Sadly (for him) nobody really cares. But his stalker behavior is weird and creepy.

That is creepy (but easily avoided by not having a public profile!)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    What Strava needs is a button to reply to anyone who clicks to 'give you kudos' for a ride, the button could say "f*** off and grow up".

I agree with the above though, if you use it just don't make any rides public and use it just to track what you've done, the segments and social media-esque sides of it are bollôcks.

The segments are all all crap and mean nothing as people wait for strong tailwinds to hammer them, do them in groups, all sorts sh1te going on. They serve vanity nothing else, they are never a marker of how good you actually are. If you want to know how good you are compared to others, race, lots, then you'll know.
  • Stuart46
    Stuart46 Posts: 26
    I cant help it, if I see another cyclist in front, the urge is overwhelming to catch up and overtake, and I am 72 yrs old.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    mfin wrote:
    What Strava needs is a button to reply to anyone who clicks to 'give you kudos' for a ride, the button could say "f*** off and grow up".

I agree with the above though, if you use it just don't make any rides public and use it just to track what you've done, the segments and social media-esque sides of it are bollôcks.

The segments are all all crap and mean nothing as people wait for strong tailwinds to hammer them, do them in groups, all sorts sh1te going on. They serve vanity nothing else, they are never a marker of how good you actually are. If you want to know how good you are compared to others, race, lots, then you'll know.

As it's already been said, take it as a bit of fun and enjoy it for what it is. I completely disagree with you, it seems like you're taking it a bit more seriously than me though :wink:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    ben@31 wrote:
    cld531c wrote:
    Anyone else out there fed up with how competitive 'recreational' cycling has become?
    I understand it if people are training for TTs or races but if you are not racing why be so competitive?
    The amount of people I see half killing themselves on the road or bragging about their (usually over inflated) average speeds is getting absurd. Also, the average ride seems to be about 20-25 miles.
    Whilst I admit I do sometimes enjoy pootling alongside someone who has killed themselves trying to overtake when they refuse to (or cant) talk, it would be nice if there were more 'normal' people out there who enjoy riding for ridings sake.
    Is it because I started cycling pre-Strava that I find this so strange? Anyone with me?

Could be worse... Just wait for the weirdos to start stalking your achievements on Strava !

The peak stalker behaviour was when he went out of his way just so he could beat your distance by 1km and drive somewhere hilly enough to beat your ascent by a few metres.

Sadly (for him) nobody really cares. But his stalker behavior is weird and creepy.

How would you know that he's targeting you unless you're stalking him back ? Anyone who cares about beating People on distance and altitude is a bit odd. But it could be he's just out for a ride.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Stuart46 wrote:
    I cant help it, if I see another cyclist in front, the urge is overwhelming to catch up and overtake, and I am 72 yrs old.

Cycling home from work on the Trans Pennine earlier this week, a lad on a BMX appeared from a side trail in front of me and proceeded to go as fast as he could up the hill in front of us. I have absolutely no shame in admitting I made sure I caught him up and sat on his wheel, just to ‘prove’ the bloke twice his age with Royal Mail uniform and lunch bag hung over the bars was faster. :oops: :oops:
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Stuart46 wrote:

Cycling home from work on the Trans Pennine earlier this week, a lad on a BMX appeared from a side trail in front of me and proceeded to go as fast as he could up the hill in front of us. I have absolutely no shame in admitting I made sure I caught him up and sat on his wheel, just to ‘prove’ the bloke twice his age with Royal Mail uniform and lunch bag hung over the bars was faster. :oops: :oops:

Careful with the euphamisms
    My pen won't write on the screen