Probably a pipe dream, but help choosing a fun bike please...

joncomelately
joncomelately Posts: 660
edited July 2018 in Commuting general
Hello folks

My daily commute may change at some point in the near future to much longer, and I am considering my options of upgrading to something more exciting than my current Boardman CX Comp, which is practical and dependable but I don't find it that exciting to ride and the commute is becoming a little bit of a chore. The stipulations for candidates are:

Essential:
- fun to ride (mainly on road/bike path)
- hydraulic disc brakes
- not Campy (nothing against them, I just have never owned any, and don't have the tools or knowledge for fettling)
- rack and guard mounts (unless there is a decent alternative carrying system than can cope with 10kg that doesn't require me spending more than a few pounds on it)
- clearance for 30+mm tyres
- drop bar

Desirable
- not alloy (although I am open to good alloy suggestions; I have just preferred riding Al, Ti and carbon frames in the past)
- thru axle (I'm not great at setting up QRs and consequently usually have to recentre the brakes whenever the wheel's been off)
- threaded BB (for me they seem to require less maintenance than PF)
- ability to take a Burley steel hitch

I'm not too fussed about wheels or spec beyond the above; I've got on well with 105 before, and I have a wheelset. Overall budget is probably about £2k, which sadly discounts a fully built Mason, but the other builds I'd seen were the Orro Terra C 105 and maybe the Strael 2.0 105, although I can't find the price ATM (partly because I can't access Dropbox). Other options are self-build, but I'd be a bit nervous about this as I've never built a complete bike and I don't really have much time that isn't work and family.

Your thoughts/opinions would be very welcome, particularly on real world experience and things like building up a bike myself - time and effort involved, does it reduce overall cost, and if so is it worth upgrading any components, that kind of thing.

TIA

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Get an e bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Holdsworth Mystique from PX ticks your boxes...
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBHOLMYSF ... 00c-wheels

I know its alloy, but the PX London Road is worth a look as well, the frame is really forgiving in ride quality yet feels super stiff under power, its as comfy on 28mm tyres as my previous frame was on 38mm. Not amazingly light but still pretty good (mine comes in under 9Kg, just over with rack and guards fitted)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks Rookie, they look like interesting options. Would be good to hear if anyone has ridden the Mystique, not that many reviews of it out and about...
  • sally56
    sally56 Posts: 5
    It seems that you have clear and complete requirements. You have enough budget to buy the components you want and send them to the bicycle shop for assembly. You don't need to do it yourself.