Struggling to find a replacement shock air sleeve

skiffy
skiffy Posts: 84
edited August 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I need to replace the air sleeve on my rear shock as the lower seals and wiper seal have burped out on one part of their circumference indicating it might be bent. It's a Fox RP2 165mm eye-to-eye. Silverfish, the Fox support dealer, don't have one, and neither it would seem does anyone else. Upgrading to a Kashima can is an option but means swapping out the seal block which I'm neither prepared to do myself (looking at the assembly diagrams) or pay someone else to do. I only had the shock serviced last year and the bike's 8 years old now.

Anyone either got an idea where I might be able to find one (TF Tuned don't have one), or have a serviced and 100% functioning used shock at a good price?

Cheers.

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Have you tried eBay or Amazon?

I sold an air sleeve on eBay last year.
  • skiffy
    Have you tried eBay or Amazon?

I sold an air sleeve on eBay last year.

Yeah nothing in the right size at the mo.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    How about buying a used shock and butchering it for parts?

This was posted a while back but it's still up so they might still have it:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2376475/

Otherwise some of the other suspension tuners may stock them: J-Tech, Stendec, Plush, Flotec, Bounce etc.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • skiffy
    CitizenLee wrote:
    How about buying a used shock and butchering it for parts?

This was posted a while back but it's still up so they might still have it:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2376475/

Otherwise some of the other suspension tuners may stock them: J-Tech, Stendec, Plush, Flotec, Bounce etc.

Cheers good find, bit of a risk though, it's as old as mine (but not propedal) so no guarantees! and a brand new sleeve is only £50. Have already today emailed all of those, only one response so far, Bounce with a negative.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The RP series are usually pretty reliable and it gives you the opportunity to upgrade to say an RP23.

I just bought a circa 2009 RP23, working perfectly and a nice upgrade from my old Monarch RL, cost me £40 on eBay and another £7 for bushes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • skiffy
    So I got this sorted, Silverfish were mistaken when they said I'd have to replace the seal block, the Kashima one's they had in stock were the correct size so I picked one up and fitted it, and rode it last night. Felt great but I was surprised to notice after riding that there was some float fluid on the shock body below the sleeve. Is this normal and just excess fluid being squeezed out through the seals at max extension and nothing to worry about? Please say that's the case! Haven't yet checked if pressure was maintained post ride.
  • steve_sordy
    I have been told on several occasions by professionals (Mojo and TFT) that some shock oil leaks out for a while. I was also told it would stop after a while. "What! Like when its all gone?" I asked.
    "Nothing to worry about" has been the consistent response, and it wasn't. :)
  • skiffy
    I have been told on several occasions by professionals (Mojo and TFT) that some shock oil leaks out for a while. I was also told it would stop after a while. "What! Like when its all gone?" I asked.

So it stopped leaking once the shock was properly knackered?
  • steve_sordy
    skiffy wrote:

So it stopped leaking once the shock was properly knackered?

Nope, the shocks were fine. :)

The first time I noticed this was in 2010 on a new Fox Float RP23 on a Kona. It caused me some concern at the time because I too thought that it would only stop leaking once all the oil was gone. No subsequent problem!

I have had other subsequent bikes with Fox shocks and each time the shock leaked a little fluid, and also after servicing. None went on to give me any problems.

I have had the air can off a few shocks and cleaned them out and added the correct amount of float fluid. There was a slight leak for a few weeks and then everything was fine.

More recently TFT told me in advance that the Rockshox Monarch Debonair RT3 that had just been serviced would leak for a while. It has ever so slightly, as seen by a mucky & oily ring round the stanchion. I expect it to resolve itself before too long and without subsequent problems.

For the last 8-9 years, every single time before I take my bike out for a ride, I apply a thin circle of wet lube around the stanchions (fork, shock, dropper) and cycle them up and down a few times then wipe it off. I do this as part of my maintenance schedule. Some say it is no more then cleaning and that it is not necessary. But I see no objection in having clean stanchions. :)