Long distances on a CX bike ?

ridgeway_swiss
ridgeway_swiss Posts: 146
edited July 2018 in Cyclocross
The max distance I've done on my CX bike is about 60km although typically it's more like 30-40km, all good fun on tracks and trails linked up with some tarmac.

Does anyone do longer road rides, say 100km or more on their CX ?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    180k as part of an Ironman. If you put slicks on why wouldn't you ride it long distance on the road ?
  • cougie wrote:
    180k as part of an Ironman. If you put slicks on why wouldn't you ride it long distance on the road ?

Because with slicks I could only enjoy half of the bike :D

I did think about some road tires but I have way too much fun off road and my bike just seems to head off down tracks and trails without me even asking it to so when I put some new tires on this week I went with some Conti CX Racers. Actually I don't mind the tires and their additional rolling resistance, I'm a fat fella and need the extra calorie burn anyway.....

Was thinking about some longer rides whilst on vacation this summer any maybe even some long climbs :shock: need to find my legs and lungs firs though.

Anyone know if there's any trails off Ventoux for a CX descent :D
  • cyclingsheep
    cyclingsheep Posts: 640
    cougie wrote:

Because with slicks I could only enjoy half of the bike :D

I did think about some road tires but I have way too much fun off road and my bike just seems to head off down tracks and trails without me even asking it to so when I put some new tires on this week I went with some Conti CX Racers. Actually I don't mind the tires and their additional rolling resistance, I'm a fat fella and need the extra calorie burn anyway.....

Was thinking about some longer rides whilst on vacation this summer any maybe even some long climbs :shock: need to find my legs and lungs firs though.

Anyone know if there's any trails off Ventoux for a CX descent :D
    There is definitely a trail on Ventoux that is suitable for CX bikes. I was investigating that as a possible route for The Gallerian which is 4 ascents of Ventoux in a day and I wanted to use the CX bike.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've done plenty of 50-75mile rides on my CX.
    I've done 60 miles on the road with the stock Schwalbe Tyrago tyres....but I've now swapped them for Michellin Marathons as a combination of Cumbrian/Northumbrian Hills,Wind and Rain made it hard going on the Schwalbes :roll: :o:|
  • [/quote]
    There is definitely a trail on Ventoux that is suitable for CX bikes. I was investigating that as a possible route for The Gallerian which is 4 ascents of Ventoux in a day and I wanted to use the CX bike.[/quote]

Yes was just reading about the Piste des Graviers Blanc, looks like a nice downhill route :D

Ascend on the tarmac and then fun downhill on the gravel 8)
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I've done a few 80+ mile road rides with 35mm 'slicks' and one 100 mile ride on a mix of tarmac and gravel using the same tyres. My 'cross bike is a lot shorter and higher than my road bike, and the wide tyres are a lot more draggy. I know people say that wider tyres should mean more comfort and keep you fresher for longer, but I call BS as after dragging them around for those kinds of distances you are going to be completely destroyed when compared to a regular road bike.

I've not tried proper road tyres on it for any length of time, but that would probably help with long road rides a lot!

Also beware of the gearing- my 'cross bike actually has a taller bottom gear than my road bike (it has a 36t chainring compared to my compact 34t), which paired with the wide tyres makes quite a difference on steep climbs.
  • Looks like I need to get out more and on some longer rides. I think i'm finding the tires hard going on tarmac (constant rolling resistance) and then equally hard riding distance on tracks and trails with loose surfaces where your efficiency is much lower.

Either that or i'm just over weight and unfit :lol::lol::lol:

Note to self: loose 10kgs and ride more
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Done a few 60+ mile rides on the CX bike and the gravel bike that replaced it, tyres do differ a fair bit.

But I’ve not found the bikes really slower feeling, in terms of rolling, more upright position so seem to drag more, but then it’s intended for rough or no roads. Strava says I’m no slower.
  • martinc
    martinc Posts: 422
    How about 190k?!
    I did South Downs Way with 3 mates last week. They rode CX all the way, and back up to London! 12 hours.
    I was on a my full susp mtn and couldn't keep up.. bailed at Arundel after 90k.
    Always in stealth mode
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've done a few 200K Audax on a Giant Roam hybrid (38mm tyres and a suspension fork) and one on a 26" MTB (They were all I could hire where I was), a CX would have been luxury!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • OK quick update. I switched (as many suggested) to some 28mm road slicks and wow does she fly !!! Been mainly on the road in the last few weeks and did most of stage 10 on the TDF, a lot of fun but the gravel and tracks are calling.....

A spare set of wheels does seem the right way to go although may be upgrading the bike.....