Rear Shock making a clicking sound, plz help

TheBeast45
TheBeast45 Posts: 39
edited July 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi my shock has been making a very loud clicking sound for around a month. It is not coming from the saddle but from the shock. After taking the shock off it’s not doing it anymore, seems like the sound is coming from the front mounting point. I replaced the bushings but the sound didn’t go away. Any help is greatly appreciated.
https://youtu.be/zFSeE1sUONg —video of the sound

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wonder if one of the mountings is loose enough to be moving slightly and needs nipping up, had that on my old bike.

Or if you are pushing down on the saddle as that does sound more like a creaky saddle!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Its not a cracked frame is it? :shock: :cry:
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Weird, sounds a bit ratchety for a worn bushing. For that you normally just hear one click when you compress and one when you unload.

Your noise almost seems to start when you grab the bike before you even compress it (at around 0:03 in the video).

Are you sure it's not the saddle?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • TheBeast45
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Weird, sounds a bit ratchety for a worn bushing. For that you normally just hear one click when you compress and one when you unload.

Your noise almost seems to start when you grab the bike before you even compress it (at around 0:03 in the video).

Are you sure it's not the saddle?

No It’s def not the saddle, as if I push via the seat post it still does it.
  • TheBeast45
    Its not a cracked frame is it? :shock: :cry:

No I don’t think so
  • TheBeast45
    The Rookie wrote:
    I wonder if one of the mountings is loose enough to be moving slightly and needs nipping up, had that on my old bike.

Or if you are pushing down on the saddle as that does sound more like a creaky saddle!

I checked the bolts but none seem loose, it’s not the saddle as when I grab the bike by the seat post and compress the shock it still makes that sound
  • CitizenLee
    I feel your pain mate, trying to diagnose annoying bike sounds is the WORST! 9 times out of 10 it's the seat or bottom bracket, even when you're 100% sure it isn't. Take the seat off completely and push down on the frame to totally rule it out.

Also, can you compress the shock when it's off the bike, without the spring? Just to test if it's coming from the spring mounting plate + it would rule out the upper and lower bolts if it still makes the noise.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • TheBeast45
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I feel your pain mate, trying to diagnose annoying bike sounds is the WORST! 9 times out of 10 it's the seat or bottom bracket, even when you're 100% sure it isn't. Take the seat off completely and push down on the frame to totally rule it out.

Also, can you compress the shock when it's off the bike, without the spring? Just to test if it's coming from the spring mounting plate + it would rule out the upper and lower bolts if it still makes the noise.

I just took the saddle off and compressed the shock but the sound is still there. I tested the shock off the bike and it’s not making the sound, it seems like it’s coming from the front mounting point
  • CitizenLee
    Ok, now try removing the spring, re-fit the shock and then compress it.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • TheBeast45
    CitizenLee wrote:

Yep it’s still making the sound
  • CitizenLee
    That was quick!

In that case it may be worth a trip to your LBS to check it out, see if the mounting hole is flared or if there is an issue with the bushing.

Good luck!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • TheBeast45
    CitizenLee wrote:

I don’t know if this is useful but the paint around the front mounting bolts has worn away/chipped off