London Rickshaw havoc

league
league Posts: 9
edited July 2018 in Commuting chat
Perhaps I am getting old, but the rickshaws in London are really annoying me. This was particularly triggered by a slightly later than usual commute in today, where on Westminster bridge there were 6-7 rickshaws 'parked up' in the cycle lane (already not wide enough since the terror barriers were introduced), forcing cyclists well into the main road primary position. Not safe at all, especially for the number of wobbly tourists on bikes who travel that route.

They take up valuable pavement space all around the Westminster bridge corner. Inability to comprehend spacing. Overtaking other rickshaws where there is no room to do so. Loitering. Cycling and using phone. I have had a few close calls with these guys along the embankment late in the evening.

Maybe this is just me, but over the years this has wound me up more and more. There is no outlet on the TfL or Police complaints procedure to deal with what I see as a growing and frustrating problem.

Anyone else having bad experiences or just me?

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Sounds about right. One rickshaw overtaking another in the bike lane is a bit like watching one HGV overtaking another one up a hill, except with added oncoming traffic.

A couple of them seem to be motorised, and definitely not limited to 15mph...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Caught part of a piece on Brekkie TV (BBC) this morning about the rickshaw problem in Dublin, so expect op. ed. pieces & the other usual follow-ons. Apparently drug-dealing is a nice side-line for some operators -cue peddler puns ...
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,143
    Aren't they regulated as taxis? (seem to recall something about that on the news/TV ages ago)

Maybe TfL need to make it a red route (surprised it's not already) and get the snowploughs out - I'm not sure how you go about requesting that other than hassling councillors.
  • league
    league Posts: 9
    I believe there has been some attempts to license them in London but currently according to the Met website there is nothing they can do. I like the idea of a red-route. It is narrow enough on some of these central London cycle lanes to have rickshaws having a snooze in them.