Zits on perineum !!!

Santander
Santander Posts: 10
edited August 2018 in Training, fitness and health
I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some advice to help me combat a rather unpleasant problem I have around my perineum. I'm getting what can only be described as zits on my perineum. I can just about see them and they look just like teenage zits complete with yellow puss (sorry to be gross!)

I always wear clean fresh shorts, I am of course wearing good quality cycling shorts. I've tried a flat saddle position as this is what I have always been used to. I've also tried a slightly downward position. I've tried lowering the saddle slightly etc. I've tried two different saddles. I've had time off the bike (about a week) and the problem has cleared up, but it flares back up quite quickly afterward. I'm not doing particularly long rides, anything from 25 miles to the odd 100 miles.

I suppose I should go and see a doctor but I know that my doctor is over-run with people who have really awful illnesses, it seems unreasonable to go asking for help for something that might be considered trivial, especially when it clears up with rest.

So any advice would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Have you tried chamois cream? Might reduce friction and solve things or might clog your pores and make it worse! Bit of a gamble......

Most probably marketing but maybe go for one that claims to be anti bacterial?

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/183 ... ois-creams
  • Santander
    Thanks Londoncommuter, I haven't tried it, I will get some on order right now. I read the article you linked to me. I was a competitive cyclist when in my 20's, I had a lot of time off the bike but remained quite fit, so now in my 40's I'm jumping back on the bike and riding perhaps more mileage than a beginner might, so it's reasonable to assume my bum has yet to toughen to the rigors of cycling.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    How quick are you out of your shorts after a ride?

How sweaty are you generally?

How good is your general hygiene?

Have you tried some tea tree soaps down there?

Don't need to answer in a public forum, but worth an ask?
  • Santander
    Shirley,
    I'm out of my shorts within ten minutes of stopping riding and my personal hygiene is good, I'm not a sweaty person either, nor do I think this issue might be to do with laundry soap or softner, especially as this issue is only on my perineum. I have to admit I think a change of soap might be a good idea as I've been using Dove soap for about two years. I'll find something new to change to, I'll try and find some tea tree soap, thanks for the suggestion.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    I find that if I wear my rubbish commuting shorts (basics dhb bib shorts) for over 2 hours I get sores. My better Club shorts (Kalas) are fine. I always shower after my commute and use Sainsbury's own brand antiseptic cream in that area. Keeps the spots away and any that do develop quickly go

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Wash riding clothes with sportswash.

Wash perineum with antibacterial soap and pat thoroughly dry with clean towel before riding.

Apply Savlon or other antiseptic cream to clean perenium before riding.

Wash perenium with antibacterial soap, dry thoroughly (pat, don't rub) and apply antiseptic cream after riding.

Wash riding clothes with sportswash. Dry outdoors in the sun
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Santander
    PhotoNice69,

Actually, my new shorts are dbh bib shorts, they feel more comfortable than my old ones, the pad is thinner which seems better. I'm also using antiseptic cream. I'm going to lay off the bike till the weekend, then do a long ride on Sunday and see how I go. I'm certain there's nothing obvious, it's not like I'm riding with the saddle pointing at the front hub!
  • Santander
    Thanks Buckles, I'll do as you suggest.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Sudocrem. Get home, strip, shower, wash thoroughly, dry, apply sudocrem, victory.

Also, check your saddle isn't too high. If you're trying to ride the same height you used in your 20s, you may find you're less flexible than you were, so your hips are rocking which will add significantly to any friction-related problems.
  • Santander
    964cup Thanks I just read up on Sudocrem and it sounds like the ideal product, probably better than expensive chamois cream. I'm going to go out today and get some.
    I don't think my saddle height is too high, my hips are definitely not swaying on the saddle, in all honesty, I think my saddle could go up a few millimeters.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Bit of sudocrem pre ride and some tea tree oil post ride should see you right pretty quickly. No need to go beserk with quantities.
  • Santander
    I thought I should add to this post. Just this weekend I went out on a long ride, prior to going out on the bike I had been off the bike for 5 days. My spotty bum had cleared up but I used some Sudocrem as recommended (it was easier to get hold of quickly rather than chamois cream. Naturally, I had clean shorts on and showered prior to going out. It was a hot day on Saturday, I rode all day and stopped in a hotel. By the end of the day, I knew it was going to be very unpleasant riding back. I had spots all over my perineum and on my bum cheeks (sorry to be crude). Cycling back on Sunday was miserable. My own personal diagnosis is that I'm getting a sweat rash because this issue has become much more noticeable since it's got warmer. It's frustrating because I am getting a lot fitter. Needless to say, everything I read about sweat rashes tells me to stop exercise, wear baggy clothing etc, etc. I'm not sure if perhaps using talcum powder might help combat the sweat build up.
  • Santander
    Oxoman, Nope but that's a good point, just a pair of DBH shorts. I remember a few years ago I did a bike tour. I was wearing canvas mountain bike shorts. I had exactly the same problem. I had to cut a square out of the front of the shorts to let the air in. I know that sounds weird - I was in Central Asia. There was a mesh liner on the inside, so I kept my modesty, I must have looked odd though, but it worked. Of course with just lycra shorts I would have assumed they'd be cool enough.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I also recommend Sudocream but when I have similar issues I also apply a layer of (non-perfumed) moisturising cream on top of the Sudocream. It seems to work well.

Getting out of the bibs asap is very important otherwise you just bake problems in.
  • Navrig2
    Thanks, I'll remember that suggestion. I've been off the bike now for 11 days and the issue is virtually cleared up. I can feel a few grissly like lumps but they're getting smaller by the day. I might try a ride at the weekend. Incidentally, I found a medication called Mupricocina was recommended, I tried it and it seems to work to clear up the rash.
  • navrig2
    I use this stuff as a soap substitute and it works well as a moisturiser on top of the Sudocream.

https://www.chemistconnect.com/pharmacy ... gJl2_D_BwE

You can get it in Boots. Usually about £5 for 500g.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    You don't shave the area at all do you?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    paraffin.

sounds wrong but works.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • navrig2
    paraffin.

sounds wrong but works.

It does work. I use it as a soap substitute to help my dry skin (psoriasis). This sounds weird but it works. I have cut the leg off of an old pair of thick tights. I fill it with a couple of handfuls of the ointment and tie a knot it in it. That's my soap and with a exfoliating glove use it to wash. It helps the skin and I really notice the skin tightening up if I have to use normal soap or shower gel.

I think you could use it as a chamois cream. Much cheaper than Udderly Butterly or whatever.

The downside is that you have to be careful and make sure that any cloths and clothes impregnated with the ointment are washed regularly as it is combustible.

A rag impregnated with it makes a great barbecue or fire lighter!