Rotor & pads compatibility

xboxkiller08
xboxkiller08 Posts: 7
edited July 2018 in MTB general
Hi
I'm using Tektro hydraulic brakes with shimano B01s pads and just purchased a 180mm shimano SM-RT66 rotor and 160mm to 180mm p2p adapter.
I'm just curious if this rotor and pads are compatible?
Also if they are compatible should I wash the new rotor? If so will soapy water be ok as I don't have any brake disc cleaner.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes they are compatible in real use, although Shimano rotors often state resin pads only, I've never had any trouble with any of the range I must add.

Just bed in the brakes and don't clean them prior to use. If you want to clean mud off use water, for grease/oil IPA (not beer) is best.
  • Thanks for quick reply.
    I thought they would be fine but doubted myself at the last min.
    Cheers
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    B01S are standard resin pads and will be fine with SM-RT66 rotors.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • All fitted and bedded in, did squeal once but totally on point now.
    Cheers lads
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    New rotors are ready to fit, no washing required.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Always wash new rotors, they will often have oily residue left from manufacture or to help prevent corrosion in transit, it’s crazy not to.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    In that case I'm crazy never washed one and not had problems, they're stainless steel so should not corrode, in transit nor in use.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They are low grade stainless and will surface rust, high grade stainless makes a shite braking surface!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    Always wash new rotors, they will often have oily residue left from manufacture or to help prevent corrosion in transit, it’s crazy not to.

I would agree there, every time I've changed discs or fitted new pads, its always worth a quick wipe over with some isopropyl alcohol works a treat.

I've not used shimano brake pads for years never really found them to be any good, currently using uberbike race matrix.