Help with better gearing.

Rio_10
Rio_10 Posts: 12
edited July 2018 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I am new to cycling and need some much need advice. I currently have use 10 speed Ultegra 6700, I have checked the rear derailleur and it just has RD-6700 stamped on it. I currently have a 12-25 cassette and I am struggling on some climbs. What would be the best way to put a 11-32 or 11-34 cassette on my bike. I am reading so much conflicting information and some state to use MTB RD…its all too confusing for me.

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    What size chainrings do you have up front?
  • Rio_10
    50x34
  • Rio_10
    I think the RD-6700 can only support up to 28T
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Change to an 11-28 cassette, 34-28 is a more than adequate low gear.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,842
    trek_dan wrote:
    Change to an 11-28 cassette, 34-28 is a more than adequate low gear for me

FTFY

Because the gearing we require depends upon our fitness/power and the gradients we will face, at different points through a ride or tour. It is entirely personal! :wink:

I love my cat 3/4 hill climbing, I've discovered this year I produce more power and climb them quicker using bigger gears (including using the 50T chainring for gradients up to ~10% if it is only a short section) at ~75-80rpm cadence, but if I've just "smashed" a combo of cat hills and the bits inbetween then at some point my legs will die and they will be begging me to use my 34-32 gear to get up anything with a slight incline... At least for a short recovery time.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    If your RD is a 6700-A SS or GS it will accept a 12-30T CS-4600 or CS-6700 10sp cassette. The RD-6700-A can be identified by a 30T stamped into the pulley wheel cage, upper guide wheel outside face.

google RD-6700-A and select images to view artscyclery.com photo

Don't forget to adjust the B-tension screw to prevent the larger sprocket on the cassette from fouling the upper guide pulley wheel.
  • Rio_10
    Thanks for the info, I have had a look and it does not have 30T stamped on the RD, so its a 6700 max 28T. What options to I have to put a 30T or 32T cassette on the bike? do they even do a 32T 10 Speed cassette?
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Get an 11-34 cassette, keep the derailleur you have, and get one of these fitted in between the hanger and the mech.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Wolf-T ... lsrc=aw.ds

It moves the cage away from the cassette. You may want to get a 118 link chain too.

DDdXA4p.jpg

Here’s what it looks like fitted.
  • Rio_10
    cool device, however the Q&A states

"Unfortunately, this product is only designed to work with medium cage derailleurs, as the spaces a short cage derailleur too low to be used with a 32 cassette.
  • Rio_10
    also I cant seem to find a 11-32 10 speed road cassette, will it be ok to put a MTB one on?
  • milemuncher1
    Rio_10 wrote:
    cool device, however the Q&A states

"Unfortunately, this product is only designed to work with medium cage derailleurs, as the spaces a short cage derailleur too low to be used with a 32 cassette.

If you have a short cage derailleur that’s right, I thought we were dealing with a medium cage.
  • milemuncher1
    Rio_10 wrote:
    also I cant seem to find a 11-32 10 speed road cassette, will it be ok to put a MTB one on?
    If you’re happy with the ratio selection, yes.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Rio_10 wrote:

It's the same thing.
  • milemuncher1
    If you need more range from the B screw, you can put it in back to front.
  • milemuncher1
    Imposter wrote:
    Rio_10 wrote:

It's the same thing.

Not quite “the same thing”. Both a road and a MTB cassette will go on the free hub the same, but the MTB cassette will often have a larger difference in the number of teeth on adjacent sprockets, compared to the sprockets on the road cassette.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Imposter wrote:
    Rio_10 wrote:

It's the same thing.

Not quite “the same thing”. Both a road and a MTB cassette will go on the free hub the same, but the MTB cassette will often have a larger difference in the number of teeth on adjacent sprockets, compared to the sprockets on the road cassette.

Is that true for mtb/road cassettes which are both 11-32? Presumably that make mtb 11-32 cassettes more/less linear than road as the overall range is obviously still the same. I had assumed that the often mentioned difference in gaps was to do with the fact that mtb cassettes have a larger low gear, whilst keeping a similar curve and therefore having larger gaps to get the overall range.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:
    Rio_10 wrote:

It's the same thing.

Shimano 10sp 11-32 cassettes all have the same ratios. There is no 'road' or 'mtb' 11-32 cassette, it's just an 11-32 cassette. Look it up.
  • Rio_10
    Thanks all, I am taking the bike to a shop to get a bike fit and check my options. Although I now feel comfortable in what I have to do to get the range I want.