Off Road only London to Woking?

inkj
inkj Posts: 93
edited July 2018 in Commuting general
Hi,

I’m new here… please don’t bully me too much… I don’t have any dinner money anyway...

As these lycra shorts didn't come with pockets.

I hate riding on roads with cars, In fact that’s what has stops me cycling much over the years

I occasionally do the South Downs Link [37m Guildford to Shoreham]

Now I would love to cycle to my mum’s often [Woking-ish] – I live in Canary Wharf. But I can’t see how to find out what off road, or completely separate [no cars at all] – paths there are. To get an idea of what % is 'happy' riding... and how much I won't enjoy.

If I were traveling [can be a convoluted journey] – how much of it could be on roads/paths that have absolutely no cars [?] I can see there is some Holborn to Woking route – but couldn’t work out how much of it [if any] wasn’t on normal [evil] roads.

Thanks for any help/advice or even abuse

x

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I dont know the area - but look at the sustrans website for routes.

If you want to check what roads are like - use google maps and the streetview option to show you photos of it.
  • inkj
    Thanks for that

Looked ta the site - it's a bit confusing to me

Green roads are [?] with traffic [?]

Purple ones are without [?]
  • inkj
    Ok found the key - got it the wrong way around:

GREEN Traffic-free route on the National Cycle Network
    Traffic-free route not on the National Cycle Network

PURPLE On-road route on the National Cycle Network
    On-road route not on the National Cycle Network

What does the National Cycle Network mean - does it mean if on the road, they will have markings on the road for bikes to ride along... but not seperate - so you can still get squished by a car
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Inkj wrote:
    Thanks for that

Looked ta the site - it's a bit confusing to me

Green roads are [?] with traffic [?]

Purple ones are without [?]

Opposite... green are without and purple are with.

Click the "Key" under the map.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    You should be able to follow Wey Navigation canal path from the Thames path and then right turn and a short ride along the Basingstoke Canal from the Wey gets you to Woking town centre.