Hydraulic brakes,advice needed please

wilson2005
wilson2005 Posts: 7
edited July 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just bought a second hand bike that is in immaculate hardly used condition it's a Trek 4500 2012 with disc brakes,the brake levers have loads of movement in them,I was expecting the bike to have great stopping power,having had a look on the internet I'm now wondering if this new bike with hydraulic breaks is going to be a real pain and I'm even thinking about a quick resale,the guy that sold me it owned holiday cottages and provided bikes to his boarders but ended up selling them as they were hardly used and you can see that is true as it looks as if it's hardly been used so it will be a shame to get rid of it.
The particular brakes are Shimano M446 hydraulic disc brakes,could anyone tell me if it will be a simple thing for a LBS to sort as a service or will I be facing problems with them forever,I've only ever had v brakes

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably just need a bleed, and possibly new pads if it's been laying around for years.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Hydraulic brakes are very good and can require the same amount of TLC as cable brakes.

As cooldad said, yours might just need a bleed, pads and some cleaning.

Don't give up quite yet!
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Yes I suppose so the bike looks so nice,not a mark on it,quite heavy but it's a solid looking bike,I think I will invest in a full a full service