Longer than normal aching legs

StillGoing
StillGoing Posts: 5,211
edited August 2018 in Training, fitness and health
I recently did a short but hard ride hitting well above my average for power and speed. Although hard, I felt good afterwards. The following day I did a 30 minute high cadence session on the turbo in the inner ring as a recovery. For the last 3 days, my legs have ached like never before with me having to bail during the final phases of a Sufferfest Full Frontal session. I've rollered the top of the thighs afterwards and they do feel a bit easier as a result. I also checked my BP which is bang in the optimal range. Could it be I simply needed to allow longer recovery after a long HI session and to do an easier recovery session the following day?
I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.

Comments

• imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    I have found that being on top of my nutrition, especially with regards to electrolytes has reduced the length and intensity of DOMS.

If you are training a lot in warm weather then it might be worth considering your intake of these crucial components: calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, phosphate and chloride.
  • StillGoing
    Hmm sounds a good contender having read up. Never heard of DOMS before. I shall invest in Fifes.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    By my own standards, I had a big cycling week last week, doing over twice the distance and elevation of a typical week for me. On the Tuesday, I went a bit power interval mad, with the DOMS kicking in badly by Thursday morning. I didn't feel it was wise to do any power training until my Sunday evening ride, which quickly turned into a "how long can I hold this power level for" ride, before my legs completely went on the only cat4 hill I did. I felt fine yesterday morning, but by lunch, DOMS had visited again.

So over the course of a week, going out everyday for 2+ hours, only two rides were power training rides. The other five rides were quite gentle, where I used easier gears and tried not to go anywhere near 275W+.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • StillGoing
    Must admit the legs are feeling a lot better today after some rest and decent sleep. Has taken a good 4 days of rest though. Will build back up steadily I think.
  • StillGoing
    Turns out its a rotated pelvis again. Need to find corrective exercises/stretches now.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    philthy3 wrote:
    Turns out its a rotated pelvis again. Need to find corrective exercises/stretches now.

How do you find that out? I have been pushing myself on nterval sessions more recently, but have tired thighs almost constantly.
  • StillGoing
    Physio.