Rear derailleur & chain length

gdiddy
gdiddy Posts: 24
edited July 2018 in Workshop
Hi,

I'm waiting on delivery for a shinny new Canyon Ultimate and super excited.
It's comes with semi compact 52/36 x 11-28 with a short cage rear derailleur and there is no option for change this.

I'm just wondering about swapping out the cassette to an 11-30 for that extra bailout for hills. Would I need to have a longer chain? I have a section of brand new 11 speed 105 chain (7-8 links), left from when I changed the chain on my old bike. With a couple of pins/powerlinks can I split a couple of 105 links into an Ultegra chain?

I've only ever ridden a compact chainset so don't know if the two extra teeth in a semi will make that much difference?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The Shadow series rear mechs are more sensitive to correct chain length than the older designs. You're probably not going to need to change chain length but it depends a little on how optimal the chain fit is on the bike as supplied. If it is marginal on length you might need to add a pair of links.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You'll be fine with 52/36 with an 11-28 cassette unless you're really unfit or riding up Porlock Hill, Dunkery, etc etc where even a 30 might not be enough. If that's the case, I'd be more inclined to switch the chain rings on the cranks for some cheap 50/34 and keep the 11-28.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • gdiddy
    gdiddy Posts: 24
    philthy3 wrote:
    You'll be fine with 52/36 with an 11-28 cassette unless you're really unfit or riding up Porlock Hill, Dunkery, etc etc where even a 30 might not be enough. If that's the case, I'd be more inclined to switch the chain rings on the cranks for some cheap 50/34 and keep the 11-28.

Mt Ventoux mate! I did it last year on 50/34 - 11-28. I'm going back fitter this year, but thinking the 11-30 may give me that extra bailout and a similar ratio to 50/34 - 11-28 if I need a bailout.

Or do you think the difference is minimal?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Well 34-28 gives a ratio of 1.21 and 36-28 a ratio of 1.29. At 70rpm that's 10.67kph with a 34 inner ring and 11.37kph with the 36.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.