Puncture in tubeless sidewall

poddy
poddy Posts: 52
edited July 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
HI,

Yesterday got a puncture in my rear tyre (WTB Trail Boss) but in the sidewall. It went almost flat initially, had to tip it on its side to get the sealant to seap out of the side, and took a few pump-ups to get it right. Has held up overnight though.

My question is should I continue riding as is (I may replace/top-up the sealant as a precaution) or should I patch it from inside or in fact ditch the tyre completely?

Thanks

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    If it truly is a pinprick hole I might consider leaving it.
    Anything more, or even just to be safe, I'd glue a tyrewall patch on the inside.
    The last thing you want is a big blow-out at speed on rough ground.

I had a 4" tear open up on the interface between the bead and the sidewall when descending at speed. The resultant hole in the tube (fitted not half a mile before) was the size and shape of a starfish! It was a very loud bang and I was very lucky not to be blown off the bike. It was a walk home job, but at least I could walk!
  • poddy
    poddy Posts: 52
    Thanks,

It must have been a thorn so not a big hole, think I'll put a patch on the inside for good measure.

If it truly is a pinprick hole I might consider leaving it.
    Anything more, or even just to be safe, I'd glue a tyrewall patch on the inside.
    The last thing you want is a big blow-out at speed on rough ground.

I had a 4" tear open up on the interface between the bead and the sidewall when descending at speed. The resultant hole in the tube (fitted not half a mile before) was the size and shape of a starfish! It was a very loud bang and I was very lucky not to be blown off the bike. It was a walk home job, but at least I could walk!
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Let me know how you get on with the patch and/or glue , re brand, as I tried but had no luck getting it to stick to the inside of the tyre.
  • FRAJ
    FRAJ Posts: 5
    Slightly off topic, but I had 2 WTB tyres in a row with multiple pin prick leaks in the sidewall that were a manufacturing defect. Is yours a definite new thorn / leak? WTB sent me a new one no quibble second time it happened.