Bizango or Boardman Pro?

string78
string78 Posts: 59
edited July 2018 in MTB buying advice
Morning all,

Apologies for another new bike thread.....

I've been searching for a few months and been undecided over whether to go the Vitus, Boardman or Voodoo route but with Halfords offering an extra 10% off today have decided to go with either the Bizango or the Boardman Pro. The Bizango isn't the most attractive in my eyes but the price and fact it recently on Hardtail of the Year has made me think I just need to get over the looks.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bizango-29er-mens-mountain-bike-16-18-20-22-frames?_br_psugg_q=bizango

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mountain-bike-pro-29er-16-18-19-20-frames

Is the extra price (£230 ish) of the Boardman Pro worth it versus the Bizango?

What would you go for?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Good choices of bike.

Personally, I'd go for the Boardman as I reckon it has a better spec and might be more future proof.

Nothing wrong with the Bizango though if you are more cost sensitive.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • blokie13
    blokie13 Posts: 93
    Boardman for me too.
    Boardman Pro FS 650b | Boardman Team 29er HT | Specialized Tricross Sport
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not really a comparison given the difference in price.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Boardman, better fork, doesn't have pointless kink in top tube.
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    I was cost sensitive so my Bizango has just arrived at home.
    Cycle to work bike without breaking the bank.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Not comparing like with like really, but I'd go for the Boardman if it is within your budget. Forks, rear thru-axle and GX drive chain are all higher spec than those on the Voodoo.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • string78
    Thanks for all the input! Sensible head said Bizango but then I do like getting value for money and the Boardman seems good value at the discounted price, much lighter too. Hopefully they will allow an other 10% for BC membership and another 4.5% Topcashback. Should bring it in at around £620-630.
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    I haven’t looked at the geometry differences but the forks / drivetrain / brakes on the Boardman are worth the extra money for sure.

Only thing is the rims on the Boardman are quite narrow if you want to run wider tyres / I’m not sure how readily they convert to tubeless if that’s an issue for you?
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Ive done about 2k miles on each over the past couple of years. Both show faults and annoyingly the Boardman with its pressfit BB did not do so well as the Bizango. Both are effectively written off. I think the 2018 Boardman has external bearings which are better than the pf.

I guess that at some point you need to accept that a bike at this price level is not eternal.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    JBA wrote:
    Not comparing like with like really, but I'd go for the Boardman if it is within your budget. Forks, rear thru-axle and GX drive chain are all higher spec than those on the Voodoo.

The rear through axle has a retrofit small (2mm) screw to hold the nut on. It is an absolute bodge. Trying to repair a flat in winter with mud all over the place is an hour and a half with all the faffing. If the screw is not in place then you will get a loose axle pdq. The stupid sram pressfit bearing has a cap (self extracting component) - 30mm which you should remove and keep for when you inevitably have to re set the bearing preload which is a joke.

Mine has done 2k in 10 months and am seriously considering writing it off. Did not need the flash forks. Brakes are not so good. Geometry, 1*11 (but change the front to 36T) and the bell are fine.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • string78
    Thanks for all the replies and advice.

The Boardman is off the list now, placed order last night but received a call today to say the only one in stock is a display bike and no others available nearby.

May just have to wait and hope for any offers that come up for the Vitus Sentier...
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What's up with a display - perfect to get some dollar off.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    ^^^^ what he said ^^^^

"Extra Discount sir?" - yes please!
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • string78
    Nothing wrong with a display bike, my "best" road bike was an ex demo. It's just I've already seen the bike in question in the store over the last few months and its got a few scrapes etc on it.

Had a hefty bill for my car come through this afternoon so that's definitely put a hold on the search for now :(
  • 02gf74
    FishFish wrote:
    I guess that at some point you need to accept that a bike at this price level is not eternal.

What are you talking about?
    The chain, tyres, bottom bracket, cassette are all consumables subject to wear, no matter how expensive they are, they will wear out.

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    You'd at least expect to change the BB and brake pads at 1k, nevermind 2k. Any price of bike can last a long time if you maintain it.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • 02gf74
    Yes, the frame, seatpost, rigid forks, stem and bars should last many years, any parts that move, except chainset, not including chainrings, will eventually wear out.

Oh, and disc rims, skewers and possibly some others.
  • string78
    Good morning all,

I'm still searching around and have seen to two following deals:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fuji-tahoe-27-5-1-5-mountain-bike-2018/rp-prod164357

and

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-surplus-10-2017-mountain-bike/

I appreciate they are quite different in terms of specs / price points but can't find many reviews on either bike.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    Without a moments hesitation I’d take the Felt.

The Fuji is described as log low and slack in the blurb about it, but kits anything but that. Has 100mm travel fork (short travel), 69 degree head angle, short reach and not the best seat tube angle. It also has very short chainstays. The fork isn’t great and neither are the wheels and a few other bits.

The Felt isn’t long low and slack either - it’s slightly slacker in the head tube, but it has a much much better fork. I’m not sure the reach figure can be right for the Felt - if it is it’s very short. You get XT level components though, better rims and hubs, probably just about better brakes etc.

Felt without a doubt is thre better buy for me.