Cassette slipping - Help

bashie
bashie Posts: 7
edited July 2018 in Workshop
So I have recently upgraded my Giant TCR with a set of Vision team 35 Wheels, a new 105 (11-28) cassette, KMC X11-EL chain, new 105 front derailer and internal gear and brake cables. The bike has been fully degreased and regreased with all the new parts on by a local bike shop.

I am fully aware that after a few rides the cables will stretch and will need to be re-tweaked. However, after going out for the first time a few days ago, as soon as I applied a bit of power on the pedals getting out of a saddle the rear cassette made a huge crunch and felt/sounded like it was pulling the cassette the against metal. This happened several times in a few different gears, and although I could spin fine I was unable to get out of the saddle. I didn't think this was anything to do with the cables stretching - as I was just getting out of the saddle and applying a bit of pressure.

I took it back to the shop the next day, who told me it was just the cables wearing in and adjusted the rear cables. Having only done 20km on the ride I was sceptical this was the reason. Yesterday I went out again, and the same thing happened. Even when I was pushing off from traffic lights my cassette would slip almost and my chain would fall off the front detrailer. Highly infuriating.

Has anyone experienced this problem? I have probably only done around 70km and still can't apply power out of the saddle. After reading up on the cassettes I know you can't seem to put the cogs on backwards but thats what it feels like! Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Find a better shop. Or tell the idiot there to ride it and fix it.

Cable outers may settle a bit, but it should never be more than a minor tweak of a barrel adjuster.

Cassettes don't slip. Chains might.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bashie
    bashie Posts: 7
    cooldad wrote:
    Find a better shop. Or tell the idiot there to ride it and fix it.

Cable outers may settle a bit, but it should never be more than a minor tweak of a barrel adjuster.

Cassettes don't slip. Chains might.

Okay thanks for the advice. I'll be going back to get them to ride and fix it!
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    You don't say how old the bike is that you've upgraded, but with all these new components (chain, cassette etc.) the culprit could be the front chain-rings (or just one of them, if you spend most of your time in it) ... does it happen in both gears at the front, or just one ?
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    How about the freehub, was that replaced?
    Dave
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    david7m wrote:
    How about the freehub, was that replaced?
    Bashie wrote:
    So I have recently upgraded my Giant TCR with a set of Vision team 35 Wheels
    Have a guess?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    What shifters are they?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    With a brand new chain and cassette I think it only can be the chainrings or the freehub. You'd like to think that the freehub, also being new would be in the clear, but the Vision hubs don't have the best reputation...

How many miles have the chainrings done? Can you post a picture?

I'm assuming we're talking about 11 speed 5800 shifters / mechs?
  • StorckSpeed
    StorckSpeed Posts: 291
    I've seen something similar when I first got a Wipperman chain. I'd put the connector on the wrong way round and it caused the chain to slip when I stood up and put some power on the pedals.
    So if the chain has a heart shaped connector, check to see if this is the right way round.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Could be a faulty freehub? Not unknown. Might be slipping on the ratchet mechanism?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    Have a look at your chainset. If everything else is new then the chances are it's worn. The fact that you can spin away in the saddle but the chain slips when you're out of it points to that fact. Worse case scenario is that you buy a new inner ring or a new chainset, whatever is more cost effective.