sungod Posts: 16,431
edited July 2018 in The bottom bracket
'ning

gym, cafes, wfh, pesky webex with lawyers wanting me to approve stuff, meh
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Hybrid commute because I need to be back for the wife to go out has mucked up my mileage this week
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, overcast here in Lincolnshire, need to book an appointment with the dentist I’ve just lost a filling whilst wasting my breakfast.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    It's spookily quiet on the train this morning - got a bank of 4 seats to myself so far. Another day on the corporate hamster wheel then early night as we have to drop Stropteen off at 4:30am tomorrow for her flight to Croatia...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Nice and sunny here, need to chase up where my bike has got to at the shop, all they were doing was putting the BB in and it's been gone for two days. The GF dropped it in for me so I have no idea what the conversation was, it was probably her saying 'please take this and never give it back because I really hate bikes'
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    McNing, England lost at sportball so the office is miserable. Seems to be a flurry of trainees and work experience people being plopped round the office so I'm going to make myself look too busy
  • haydenm
    Bike is being fettled as we speak, concerned I bought the wrong BB so I may not get it back this week if they have to order a new one.

WFH now, got a mate and his boss coming round in a bit on their way through, will be weird as he is new in his job that I put him in touch with. They work for us and I regularly give them a hard time for being a bit useless, mate doesn't know that yet and he's not going to like being told what to do by me :wink:

Just finished writing a report, used my new system which I'm very proud of. Turns out it's taken 3 hours instead of all day so now I have nothing to do, hooray for bikes
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Morning
    Another day of doing very little as my back is not much better. I hope today’s stage has a bit more going on than yesterday’s
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Overcast here but the rain will have done wonders for the moorland fires the brigade are battling.

Reports of thicko kids deliberately setting fire to grass in the local park last night, bloody twonks.

Looks like the end of summer, forcast is looking more unsettled now which is great as I've almost finished the flagging and was looking forward to getting out on the bike.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,550
    Nearly the end of week 13 working away from home. Have struggled mightily with the urge to murderise to death a fair few of this client's "business partners", because they appear to have no understanding of business. Nor are they much chop at systems integration, and can't hire an analyst worth throwing rocks at. I'm sure they mean well, and they do try hard, but feck me they're just plain muppets.

Given the continued inability to locate very large lumps of stuff in their warehouse, a mini-stocktake was suggested to at least tell us what they tripped over when they walked about. Resulting data report presented 3 days later was: "There's 167 pallets in that bit of the building. Here's a set of photographs of the labels on them." :roll: :roll: Company is a combo French/Dutch group claiming to be market leading experts in Europe. Really? In more than 30 years in this game, I've never seen any system/process/people solution so poorly designed, implemented and managed.

Just told them today the pile of stuff they've earmarked as "lost" is valued at over 1.3 mill. It's beginning to get their attention now we're asking for a cheque to cover that.

No wonder I drink too much lately.

Not ridden my bikes in months. This sux.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • step83
    Does look like summers drawing to a close, a "yellow warning of thunder" has appeared for tomorrow which interesting
  • haydenm
    Just had some bloke round trying to sell me memory foam mattresses as their warehouse is shutting down. The van had some legitimate looking writing on it but I think I'll be moving all my bikes inside from the garage for a week or two... Report to 101 or ignore it as the fan looked fairly sensibly decalled?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Fish & chip lunch, which is always a good thing.

Thinking about etap. Don't need it, could buy a lovely singlespeed for the same money. Still thinking about it the electric gears though.
  • sungod
    etap is lovely, you need etap, you know it too

fwiw i got the kit to convert from red, march 2016 i think, i wasn't expecting just how much more i like it than mechanical, ans aesthetically it's nice to lose the cables

it also makes travelling with the bike easier, no cable to have tension affected by removing/refitting the rd
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    HaydenM wrote:
    Just had some bloke round trying to sell me memory foam mattresses as their warehouse is shutting down. The van had some legitimate looking writing on it but I think I'll be moving all my bikes inside from the garage for a week or two... Report to 101 or ignore it as the fan looked fairly sensibly decalled?

Report. The Police might be looking for the van and chap already so it might lead to increased patrols in your area which is always a good deterrent regardless of the intentions of the driver. I'm in a sleepy village in Shropshire with quite a few coppers as neighbours. We seem to have a high visible patrol presence although I'm not suggesting a causal link between the two but there's no trouble.

You'll regret not reporting your concerns if something does happen
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • haydenm
    Slowmart wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Report. The Police might be looking for the van and chap already so it might lead to increased patrols in your area which is always a good deterrent regardless of the intentions of the driver. I'm in a sleepy village in Shropshire with quite a few coppers as neighbours. We seem to have a high visible patrol presence although I'm not suggesting a causal link between the two but there's no trouble.

You'll regret not reporting your concerns if something does happen

'101 is experiencing a high number of calls, please wait to speak to an advisor', hung up after a while. I've sent a text to all my neighbours, it'll be around the village in no time.

My GF called them the other day to report a broken down car on a blind bend, gave up and called the proper police. She then spent 20 minutes explaining where it was (on the A701 north of Amisfield, a 2 second google), the central call handling thing for Scotland is a complete balls up but that's another rant for another day :wink:
  • hopkinb
    sungod wrote:

fwiw i got the kit to convert from red, march 2016 i think, i wasn't expecting just how much more i like it than mechanical, ans aesthetically it's nice to lose the cables

it also makes travelling with the bike easier, no cable to have tension affected by removing/refitting the rd

Quick google shows £1,250 for post mount disc brake group, sans chainset, cassette and chain. Ooof.

I have welded on bosses for the derailleur cable runs on my frame, might be a bit fugly with no cables in. I'll still also have dirty great big brake hoses running along the top tube. So aesthetics may not be immeasurably improved :lol:

Will it cope with the all-weather/all-year-round communt, and general lack of cleanliness and skilled maintenance? Will it get upset by the cheap 105 cassette and Rival chainset and refuse to function until I upgrade to bits it feels comfortable with? :)

Maybe I should just get that steel frame made and hang rim brake etap off it and only ride it in the dry. Or just forget about spending money on bikes. It'll not make me any quicker anyway.
  • sungod
    my shiny bike had removable cable stops apart from an unobtrusive/small one on the chainstay, so it looked very clean afterwards, i ride it year round, heat, cold, dust, rain, slush etc., no issues

but for a commute bike etap seems overkill

get a new frame, have it built for etap
  • hopkinb
    sungod wrote:

but for a commute bike etap seems overkill

It's only a commute bike in the sense that it is my only bike. 50mm carbon rims are also overkill for a commute bike.

I'll think some more.
  • step83
    sungod wrote:

I keep umming an arring on etap, but I may have boogered the plastic bike frame on a pothole, also the crappy paintjobs flaking away... maybe an excuse to convert to spinning death blade discs. Meh will see!
  • sungod
    hopkinb wrote:
    It's only a commute bike in the sense that it is my only bike. 50mm carbon rims are also overkill for a commute bike.

I'll think some more.
    aha! by your own words, you need more bikes
  • sungod
    ffs, noisy things keep flying over, suspect trumpian bratmobile

where's a stinger when you need it
  • tlw1
    sungod wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

I'll think some more.
    aha! by your own words, you need more bikes
    Everyone of us needs more bikes
  • hopkinb
    I quite fancy a single speed, a BMX (I was never allowed one in the 80's, I had a sensible Dawes kids "racer", then a 10 speed Peugeot), a bike for wet miserable days and a best bike for posing at speed. Though I do love my current bike, which I would keep for everything else.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    sungod wrote:
    ffs, noisy things keep flying over, suspect trumpian bratmobile

where's a stinger when you need it

They Bee along in no time,i'm glad i wear shades on a ride.
  • tlw1
    hopkinb wrote:
    I quite fancy a single speed, a BMX (I was never allowed one in the 80's, I had a sensible Dawes kids "racer", then a 10 speed Peugeot), a bike for wet miserable days and a best bike for posing at speed. Though I do love my current bike, which I would keep for everything else.
    Single speed is a great bike to own - you also need a mountain bike version
    Fixie for shits and giggles
    Best bike
    Unsure of the weather bike
    Bad weather Bike
    Bike for racing
    Time trial Bike
    Full sus mtb
    Hardtail mtb
    BMX
    Tandom
  • Stevo_666
    TLW1 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Best bike
    Bad weather Bike
    Bike for racing
    Time trial Bike
    Full sus mtb
    Hardtail mtb
    BMX
    Tandom
    Downhill bike
    FTFY
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Best bike
    Bad weather Bike
    Bike for racing
    Time trial Bike
    Full sus mtb
    Hardtail mtb
    BMX
    Tandom
    Downhill bike
    FTFY
    Now there are three bikes I need to buy
  • Stevo_666
    TLW1 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Best bike
    Bad weather Bike
    Bike for racing
    Time trial Bike
    Full sus mtb
    Hardtail mtb
    BMX
    Tandom
    Downhill bike
    FTFY
    Now there are three bikes I need to buy
    Oops sorry :)

Which are the other 2?
  • tlw1
    The bottom three are currently unowned
  • Stevo_666
    TLW1 wrote:
    The bottom three are currently unowned
    The tandem should probably stay that way.

Some of my bikes fulfil multiple functions on that list :)