Remove PF30 bottom bracket from Boardman CX

igsta
igsta Posts: 56
edited July 2018 in Workshop
I am trying to replace my bottom bracket with a new one but cannot get the bottom bracket removed from the frame. I'm using a headset bearing removal tool (the shaft tool with 4 split leafs that clip in behind the bearing). Then hitting the shaft with a hammer - hard - and cannot get it to budge.

I have no trouble using this method to remove a shimano bottom bracket from a carbon frame.

Am i missing anything here. Can i use this method to knock out the bearings?

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    igsta wrote:
    I am trying to replace my bottom bracket with a new one but cannot get the bottom bracket removed from the frame. I'm using a headset bearing removal tool (the shaft tool with 4 split leafs that clip in behind the bearing). Then hitting the shaft with a hammer - hard - and cannot get it to budge.

I have no trouble using this method to remove a shimano bottom bracket from a carbon frame.

Am i missing anything here. Can i use this method to knock out the bearings?

thats the method for removing PF30 cups. It may have been bonded in....

try using a metal hammer if you used a rubber mallet before (dont miss and hit the frame :) )

try holding the frame bottom bracket down in a tub of very hot water for a minute.

id avoid using the ususal penetrating and freeing stuff on carbon
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    Do you know what BB is in there? Some non-standard ones have threaded internal sleeve that would need to come out before the cups come out.

If not and you are replacing the cups anyway then a hammer and a punch usually works as well as anything.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    as above, sounds like there's retaining compound on the cups

if the frame is metal, use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the area, these compounds typically lose strength at high temperature, loctite 609 loses about 70% of strength at 150c, by 175c it's lost it all
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pedropete
    pedropete Posts: 227
    Seemed to be a lot of variation in the BB shells on 2016-2017 CX models, as some reported PF30s that never moved, creaked or caused problems in 18 months +, whereas others (mine included) practically fell out on their own they were so loose in the shell.

Could be your Halfords had to get crazy with the locking compound if yours was obviously loose at setup.
  • Vino'sGhost
    its perfectly normal practice to use a medium strength locking compound with PF30cups. sometimes they need a wallop to remove and if youre going to replace with a Wheels style bottom bracket you need to clean up the BB shell in the frame before you fit it.

cleaning is your friend
  • I don't know if it is any help, but I recently used the Park Tools BBT-304 tool to remove a PF30 from my Raleigh CX bike. It come with the press cups to re-install the new BB also.
  • Vino'sGhost
    pedropete wrote:
    Seemed to be a lot of variation in the BB shells on 2016-2017 CX models, as some reported PF30s that never moved, creaked or caused problems in 18 months +, whereas others (mine included) practically fell out on their own they were so loose in the shell.

Could be your Halfords had to get crazy with the locking compound if yours was obviously loose at setup.

Thats the achilees heal of pf systems, there are two tolerances that can be added together to make one big problem.

if you buy your stuff in the shop try measuring a few cups and see if theres much difference in diameter. chose the bigger one if there is.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    The cups may have corroded onto the frame. Try pouring boiling water over / immersing the bottom bracket area in hot water, then give the cups a good hard whack using the tools and method you’ve explained you have. It’s just a case of hitting them as hard as necessary, to get them out.
  • Vino'sGhost
    The cups may have corroded onto the frame. Try pouring boiling water over / immersing the bottom bracket area in hot water, then give the cups a good hard whack using the tools and method you’ve explained you have. It’s just a case of hitting them as hard as necessary, to get them out.

isnt that what id written?
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472

Yep, you did, I agree.
  • Vino'sGhost

Yep, you did, I agree.

Jolly good :)