Road bike 46t rear 28t crank

GeriatricDean
GeriatricDean Posts: 3
edited July 2018 in Workshop
Would like to put 46t rear cassette and 28t single chainring front crank set up on a road bike frame. Have Shimano 10 sp road wheel. Possible ? Components to use ?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You'd need to go to Ultegra 11 to fit a 40T maximum cassette - its down to the rear mech. Biggest you'd be able to fit with 10 speed is maybe 34T unless you fit something like an extended derailleur hanger
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,179
    What Monty says... another option is a 9 speed Shadow XT rear derailleur, that will work with 10 speed road shifters

Not sure why you want a 28 front... I would say a 36 would be more versatile

28 x 11 is still a small gear, you will be spinning like a mad man
    left the forum March 2023
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Surely the OP means the other way around? New crank needed (SRAM CX1, I suppose), and 10-speed 11-28 cassette.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It doesn’t seem like it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Using the bike for steep grade workout circuit (15%). Already have a biked rigged with MTB 9 speed 36 t rear and 22 -(45) Mtb triple front crank. Frame is deteriorating (aluminum). Want a road bike. Only so much you can do with road bike restrictions on front crank derailer so going to go with single chainring front and not use the bike for anything else. Probably easiest to go with single 22 chainring on front and keep the current rear rig. I need the 16 inch gear, can only put out 180 watts on the climb. Getting old. Thanks very much for the help.