Hot tips for bike industry job interview

bludger
bludger Posts: 4
edited July 2018 in The cake stop
My brother's applying for a job in the bike industry, in a corporate services role, in management accounting/business development. He's put in an application but would appreciate some info on what kinds of materials to start researching ahead of the potential interview.

Obviously there are the 'trade mags' and websites but if any of you have a background in the bike industry and could offer some clues on what kinds of trends might give an edge in the interview it'd be hugely appreciated. :D

Comments

• robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    bludger wrote:
    My brother's applying for a job in the bike industry, in a corporate services role, in management accounting/business development. He's put in an application but would appreciate some info on what kinds of materials to start researching ahead of the potential interview.

Obviously there are the 'trade mags' and websites but if any of you have a background in the bike industry and could offer some clues on what kinds of trends might give an edge in the interview it'd be hugely appreciated. :D

Silly question but does he ride a bike and why isn't he on here himself asking that?

Or should we be wishing you good luck if you get an interview?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would suggest he learns to do his own research.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bludger
    Robert88 wrote:
    bludger wrote:

Silly question but does he ride a bike and why isn't he on here himself asking that?

We're all helping out with his application - my sister's doing practice interviews, my mum's helping him move, we're a family and we help each other out and support each other. He's 6 years younger than me, we don't have anyone in our family in the sports and outdoor industry and are looking for any edge we can source. If someone asked for hints and tips on how to get into engineering I'd offer my advice too. That's how a healthy community works.

Help is appreciated, bitter nastiness is a waste of everyone else's time.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I always like this website - you've probably seen it already - https://www.bikebiz.com/

Good luck lil brother.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Is it private equity owned? Could be an interesting discussion point for someone in BD/MI.
  • robert88
    bludger wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    bludger wrote:

We're all helping out with his application - my sister's doing practice interviews, my mum's helping him move, we're a family and we help each other out and support each other. He's 6 years younger than me, we don't have anyone in our family in the sports and outdoor industry and are looking for any edge we can source. If someone asked for hints and tips on how to get into engineering I'd offer my advice too. That's how a healthy community works.

Help is appreciated, bitter nastiness is a waste of everyone else's time.

I think you are the one with the problem mate. Those were fair questions:

Interviewer: Do you ride a bike?
    Interviewee: What's a bike?

Interviewer: Have you tried to find out?
    Interviewee: Yes, I asked my brother but he got a bit funny about it.
  • bludger
    Pretty great questions if you spend your time preoccupied with your own internet cat fight tendencies than helping someone else I guess... :roll:
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Not bike stuff specific but,

Demonstrate the value you (or whoever) is going to add to the business.
    This is all an employer really wants to know.

express how easy you are to manage.
    This is all the manager really wants to know.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    bludger wrote:
    Pretty great questions if you spend your time preoccupied with your own internet cat fight tendencies than helping someone else I guess... :roll:

You make some fair points about "healthy community" and helping others find a job in engineering.... but how could we have sought your help when you joined two days ago to ask for this specific help.

More helpfully I would try the more technical sections and try more humility
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    Don't try too hard. They're going to know more than him, if he makes out he's an expert they'll quickly catch him out.

Being honest is much better.

The older I get, the better I was.

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    bludger wrote:

Bike Radar just masquerades as a biking website... it's really just a place where grown men come to argue, bicker and take out their frustrations on each other in a patronising or condescending manner.

It's a shame really, as it usually scares new members away. Or maybe that's the plan?

Anyway, try https://www.bikebiz.com/ as mentioned above... and best of luck to your bro ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • robert88
    CitizenLee wrote:
    bludger wrote:

Bike Radar just masquerades as a biking website... it's really just a place where grown men come to argue, bicker and take out their frustrations on each other in a patronising or condescending manner.

It's a shame really, as it usually scares new members away. Or maybe that's the plan?

Anyway, try https://www.bikebiz.com/ as mentioned above... and best of luck to your bro ;)

maxresdefault.jpg
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    To be honest it doesn't really matter if he knows the industry, just that he can do the job in question.

I have moved jobs a number of times and always to a different industry or sector as long as he knows the basics (who the main players are, who their specific completion is, areas of growth etc) and shows willingness to learn they'll be fine with him.

make sure he researches the specific company more though, that is more important than the whole industry.

Also, try not to over think it, it sounds like a lot of prep is going into this interview and it might make him overly nervous, just let him relax and be himself, if he is right for the job let that shine through
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    bludger wrote:

cyclechat is even worse. Cyclinguk seems decent enough altho you may find a mod has slightly edited your post for odd reasons. Overall its pretty friendly. Quora has some interesting (and some not so) cycling stuff among other things. I would suggest cycling related subreddits on reddit but there is a post timer limit thingy that was bad enough to make me terminate my account there. Sausages etc.