Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2018

iannucci
iannucci Posts: 15
edited July 2018 in MTB buying advice
Thinking about purchasing this bike. I mainly cycle on roads but do ride gentle trails and rough tracks from time to time. Would this be a good choice? I have never ridden a 29ner before so Im just a little worried about how that will feel on tarmac.

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    It will feel great on tarmac, pretty much like a road bike. Except it will be heavier and roll a bit more slowly due to the wider and more knobbly tyres. Don't worry about the 29er aspect when on tarmac.

Many, many people ride 29ers on the trails. You will notice the difference if you get off your 26er straight onto a 29er (or vice versa). But once you have got a few miles under your belt, you will cease to notice.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    29" wheels make it more like a road bike so ideal for tarmac. Would be fine off-road as well.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    iannucci wrote:
    Thinking about purchasing this bike. I mainly cycle on roads but do ride gentle trails and rough tracks from time to time. Would this be a good choice? I have never ridden a 29ner before so Im just a little worried about how that will feel on tarmac.

The wheel size is fine , the big knobbly tyres will be slower than those on a road bike but it will be OK and you can also take it off road as well.
  • iannucci
    iannucci Posts: 15
    Thanks for the reassurance guys. I just noticed this bike doesnt come with pedals. I will be going for conventional flats, is there anything to watch out for here? Or are they all much the same so long as you dont go for the bargain basement ones?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    iannucci wrote:
    Thanks for the reassurance guys. I just noticed this bike doesnt come with pedals. I will be going for conventional flats, is there anything to watch out for here? Or are they all much the same so long as you dont go for the bargain basement ones?

Pedals are a bit like saddles, everyone has their favourites. By conventional flats, I am assuming that you don't mean the budget plastic ones that are very slippy when wet! You could get some metal "bear trap" pedals. (Google them). They are about £18 and they worked well with the trainers I had when I first started mtb.

Or you can get some pedals that have pins in them. These are the ones that most mtbrs would use if they were into flats not spds. The budget end (but still good) are the DMR V6 nylon pedal with pins, like these on offer from Wiggle for £12.49: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dmr-v6-plastic- ... 4066957368

I'm not 100% certain whether the pins are removable on the V6, they might be, the blurb doesn't say so, but it may be a given.

DMR have a wide range of flat pedals that goes well beyond £100. For your extra money you get thinner, lighter and with adjustable pins (in/out, length), spare parts, and a range of colours. Different manufacturers make pedals with different dimensions. If you have really big feet you might want a larger footprint, other wise not. there is no point getting a pedal wider than your foot, as it will only catch on the ground/trees/rocks etc.

The flat pedals with pins in work best with soft soled shoes that the pins can dig into. I always remove the centre pin on the leading edge, both sides. (ie 2 pins per pedal). That is the little bugger that gouges my shins when I make a mistake! There are many types of mtb footwear, the best gripping of which is the FiveTen. I find them too grippy and not waterproof enough, so I go for the Shimano ones.

Be aware that for mtbrs, subjects like pedals, shoes, tubeless(or not), wheel size etc, are a bit like politics and religion for normal people.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    We all have difference views of what we like.

Arguably, a flat pedal is just that. You probably won't notice much difference between a £30 set or £75 set to start with (I'm sure others may disagree with that).

The other important factor is footwear. Your pedals are a very important contact point, even more so on a HT as the back end is rigid. You need footwear that keeps your feet on the pedals. A lot of riders use 5.10 shoes and I have to say I've got them and they do work really well. Didn't believe the hype to start with but now I'm converted. Some people wear cross-trainers, walking shoes or Converse type footwear and find they work sufficiently.

Maybe have a look at this:

https://www.mbr.co.uk/buyers_guide/best ... ats-322478

You don't need to spend a fortune to start with.
    "Ride, crash, replace"