Freehub or hub failing

moyesie
moyesie Posts: 68
edited July 2018 in Workshop
My Wilier developed a creak over a month ago, very similar to what you expect a failing bottom bracket to sound like.

Checked bearings and they were super smooth so I started looking back towards the rear wheel.

I then found the following:
IMG_2022_2.jpg

The carbon has become compressed, a quick email to Wilier and they sent out a replacement plate, I've no idea when or indeed if the original fell out but it's now back in place, sadly the creak is still in place.

I then noticed the end of the axle was split as you can see in the below picture:

IMG_2283.jpg

Replaced the axle and....the noise is still there, worse than before.

The bearings in the Novatec feel mostly fine, the NDS I'd rate at 90% and the bearings in the Freehub at 70%, I've certainly felt worse!

My dilemma now is do I get a replacement Freehub at £45 or new hub at £50 plus build costs.

Wheels are 38mm Zuus on Novatec 372SB hubs.

Interestingly the sound is now there when freewheeling, it's also present when running without freehub attached.

I hate bikes.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Probably caused due to QR not tight enough - the fretting between the hub and the inside drop-out is what caused the plate to disintegrate and likewise the end of the hub spindle to crack. The carbon hasn't compressed, it's worn away due to the loose wheel. The hub spindle can be replaced quite easily - no need to replace the hub.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    it might all last a bit longer and work better if you clean it occasionally too. The black paste/ gunk a greasy grinding paste is not your friend
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    it might all last a bit longer and work better if you clean it occasionally too. The black paste/ gunk a greasy grinding paste is not your friend

Note to self: thoroughly degrease and polish any components to surgical cleanliness before posting pics...
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    keef66 wrote:

Note to self: thoroughly degrease and polish any components to surgical cleanliness before posting pics...

That’s the spirit :lol:
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Probably caused due to QR not tight enough - the fretting between the hub and the inside drop-out is what caused the plate to disintegrate and likewise the end of the hub spindle to crack. The carbon hasn't compressed, it's worn away due to the loose wheel. The hub spindle can be replaced quite easily - no need to replace the hub.

^^^^
    Wot ‘e said.