monday the western desert lives and breathes in forty five degrees

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,435
edited July 2018 in The bottom bracket
'ning

office, coffee, pastry, cloudy virtual stuff, bail early if it's hot enough to bask
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Morning
    A bit cooler here, which is not a bad thing as I’ve got the cleaning to do. Might get out for a ride later.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Morning

Ride to work (half way), bit humid.
    Office is getting audited so people are running around in a panic.

Might ride the long way back this evening.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Morning, misty rain here! 2nd time it's rained since early May and it is desperately needed. New frame day today so WFH, might have to pop to the shop and get them to fit my BB. I'm usually pretty happy whacking them in with a hammer and a piece of wood but it's a tad more risky with carbon... probably
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning folks,
    Another glorious day here, bit tired though as daughter couldn’t sleep due to strange noises. Turned out there were some rather large moths trying to get out of a chest of drawers in the mezzanine bit above her bed. Wound up taking that outside in the middle of the night, all quiet after that.
    Carbon frame and rain hm? Just push the bearings in by hand as the frame will go all melty, allegedly.
    Might go to the bar for a coffee later.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Might go to the bar for a coffee later.

Caffe corretto signore?

Then a leisurely lunch in a shady corner of an ancient piazza? Then a little bask/snooze by the pool, before enjoying a passeggiata, followed by dinner and digestivi?

At least I'm back in air conditioned comfort in the office.
  • haydenm
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Carbon frame and rain hm? Just push the bearings in by hand as the frame will go all melty, allegedly.

Good point. That said, a friend of mine ordered the same frame on Friday also and his is stuck in the DPD depot in Gloucester, no word about mine but it may not even be arriving. I'll be bloody annoyed if not as I can't work from home all week and they won't leave it in a safe place
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Morning

Ride to work (half way), bit humid.
    Office is getting audited so people are running around in a panic.

Might ride the long way back this evening.
    I assume you would have passed my car - should have washed it, it doesn't look as white anymore
  • tlw1
    Hybrid commute to ease into the week

Both kids are off sick so doesn't look like I will get out on the bike later
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning, achey today after doing a sportive/charity ride yesterday. Can safely say I've never seen so many people killed from a ride. climb for everyone (were talking kids, grannies sunday specials etc) was a 120m 14% gradient smart move there!
    Ended up walking most of that one. Bar that was good and very very hot road literally melting and the leccy pylons crackling away. Came home to find the OH had been out and bought a little kids plastic pool thing the old clam shell one, she had her feet in one half an the dog was flopped half under water in the other.
    Mercury topped at 39c yesterday but I think it was where I left it in the sun. Still its on Strava that means it counts surely?

Also aircon isn't airconning in the office which isn't what I needed today.
  • haydenm
    Step83 wrote:
    Morning, achey today after doing a sportive/charity ride yesterday. Can safely say I've never seen so many people killed from a ride.

Quite harsh I guess but that is one way to enforce the 'not being a twat' rule on sportives
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    TLW1 wrote:
    I assume you would have passed my car - should have washed it, it doesn't look as white anymore
    Does it say "clean me" on it?
    I go all the way over to the river and come down the cycle path most days so might not have passed it. Getting overtaken then cut up in the 20 mph zone when I'm doing 20 mph does my head in.
  • haydenm
    Has anyone ever used freestylecycling.com? I want a US Postal replica jersey for childish reasons and I don't want to get scammed...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Another glorious day here, bit tired though as daughter couldn’t sleep due to strange noises. Turned out there were some rather large moths trying to get out of a chest of drawers in the mezzanine bit above her bed.
    Are you sure they weren't trying to escape from your wallet? :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    HaydenM wrote:
    Step83 wrote:
    Morning, achey today after doing a sportive/charity ride yesterday. Can safely say I've never seen so many people killed from a ride.

Quite harsh I guess but that is one way to enforce the 'not being a fool' rule on sportives
    We had quite a few of the living dead in here today after some of our lot did a 'tough mudder' challenge for charity, and it was pretty clear some of them were not in shape for a jog in the park.

Cycled in this morning and was pretty fast but it was more to do with being jammy on the traffic lights than anything being fit. Just demolished lunch and it's onwards to torturing numbers until they tell me what I want to hear.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • haydenm
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

Quite harsh I guess but that is one way to enforce the 'not being a fool' rule on sportives
    We had quite a few of the living dead in here today after some of our lot did a 'tough mudder' challenge for charity, and it was pretty clear some of them were not in shape for a jog in the park.

I'm just surprised they were killing people post ride, presumably for breaking the rules? :wink:

I see people a bit like that after a local music festival every year but it's mostly from all the drugs.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    HaydenM wrote:
    Morning, misty rain here! ...fit my BB. I'm usually pretty happy whacking them in with a hammer and a piece of wood but it's a tad more risky with carbon... probably

No rain here.
    Wood vice for pressing the BB in square.
    HaydenM wrote:
    Has anyone ever used...I want a US Postal replica jersey for childish reasons and I don't want to get scammed...

That druggy squad?! ...and they rode Treks. Go to Prendas and get a proper retro La Vie Claire/Molteni/KAS replica/Cycles Peugeot.

Went out in the sticks for a wobble. Although there was no Bloodwood and desert Oak and it was only a steaming 24 degrees.

Must crank up the turntable and stick that old 45 on.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    HaydenM wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

I'm just surprised they were killing people post ride, presumably for breaking the rules? :wink:

I see people a bit like that after a local music festival every year but it's mostly from all the drugs.

Wouldn't surprise me, saw some people taking shortcuts, so I'd say its warranted.
  • tlw1
    Step83 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me, saw some people taking shortcuts, so I'd say its warranted.
    Wish I'd taken a shortcut during Saturday's trail half as body still in bits
  • haydenm
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Has anyone ever used...I want a US Postal replica jersey for childish reasons and I don't want to get scammed...

That druggy squad?! ...and they rode Treks. Go to Prendas and get a proper retro La Vie Claire/Molteni/KAS replica/Cycles Peugeot.

Heh heh heh, I feel the guys I ride with down south would find it mildly amusing if I turned up wearing it, not sure it's work £30 for a joke however.

Quite liking this for retro:
    La_Casera_Bahamontes_Team_Mens_Cycling_Jerseys_3__00486.1526701047.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

I got my St Peligrino jersey from Predas though, good quality
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Frederico Bahamontes; 'The Eagle of Toledo'.

Have a look at bobshop.com.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!