Converting 20x110 fork to 15x110

Rowan404
Rowan404 Posts: 104
edited July 2018 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at buying a used Fox 36 on pinkbike. There aren't too many of them for sale in 170mm and one of the only ones I can find has a 20x110 axle when my hub is 15x110. The guy selling it has told me that you can convert it but I'm not sure if this is true. Does anyone know for sure if this can be done? If so, how difficult a process would it be?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    You'd need new lowers. What's your hub? You might have better luck converting that.
  • Rowan404
    Rowan404 Posts: 104
    Yea, I'm not going to do that. My hub is a DT Swiss something, not sure of the model. It's on a 2017 bike.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Some DT hubs can be converted, with this: https://www.acycles.co.uk/dt-swiss-mtb- ... 14829.html

There's a compatibility chart at the bottom, probably more detail on the DT site.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Some hubs come with 20mm as standard, along with a range of press-in end caps to suit smaller axle diameters. It sounds dodgy but isn't. I have seen this on Mavic and e13 wheels, so it is probably common to all major after-market hubs and wheels.

PS: Get the guy to throw in the conversion kit and you'll buy the forks. Or at the very least provide a link to the kit so at least you know it can be done and for how much.