P1s pedals shutting down mid ride?

vectra0
vectra0 Posts: 128
edited July 2018 in Road general
Hi all just a quick question,
Just received some powertap P1s pedals, it seems that when I stop at traffic lights/anywhere they lose connection and don’t restart again when I set off.
I have to go into the menu and turn off/on the sensor to pick it up again. Is this because they have a ‘time out’ shut down?
or do they need to be set to stay on longer? (How?)
It was literally a set of traffic lights, so maybe 1.30min of no activity....
Anyone else had a problem like this or no problems at all? How long should they stay awake for?
Many thanks folks
Mark

Comments

• mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    Are the pedals new? Have you tried changing the battery using a lithium AAA battery and checked the firmware is up to date? I have the P1S with a Wahoo Bolt computer and never had this problem. There is also an App for them but I can't remember if you can alter the timeout settings on there.
  • vectra0
    Yes brand new with brand new lithium aaa battery. Firm ware is up to date. I couldn’t find an option in the powertap app and nothing on my 520headunit.
    Is there any lag that you have noticed when starting from stopped??
    Cheers
  • craigr
    craigr Posts: 53
    vectra0 wrote:
    Yes brand new with brand new lithium aaa battery. Firm ware is up to date. I couldn’t find an option in the powertap app and nothing on my 520headunit.
    Cheers

When i had my P1 pedals i never got this. They turn off after 4 minutes of non-movement : https://www.powertap.com/Uploads/PDF/Po ... pedals.pdf

Stopping at lights, etc i never encountered this once.

Sounds like you are losing signal between pedals and the head unit. Connected ok in ANT+ rather than Bluetooth?
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    Not noticed any lag after been stopped or at any other time. I have a Pioneer left crank powermeter on another bike and they both work the same.
  • vectra0
    craigr wrote:
    vectra0 wrote:
    Cheers

When i had my P1 pedals i never got this. They turn off after 4 minutes of non-movement : https://www.powertap.com/Uploads/PDF/Po ... pedals.pdf

Stopping at lights, etc i never encountered this once.

Sounds like you are losing signal between pedals and the head unit. Connected ok in ANT+ rather than Bluetooth?

Hey thanks for the link. I think its doing a reset everytime I stop, so I’m guessing it’s a connection problem. Just rode tonight same thing, also it happened mid ride a couple of times after a bump. It takes approx 1 min to start reading again.... maybe I should do the battery cover tighter?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Might be worth trying a different gps computer, just incase that is at fault rather than the pedals.

Otherwise I would contact powertap.
  • craigr
    vectra0 wrote:
    Hey thanks for the link. I think its doing a reset everytime I stop, so I’m guessing it’s a connection problem. Just rode tonight same thing, also it happened mid ride a couple of times after a bump. It takes approx 1 min to start reading again.... maybe I should do the battery cover tighter?

The battery cover if i remember right has a max torque setting, obviously don't go over this as you will damage your thread.
    How does the power look when you upload it to Garmin/Strava, etc, is it not showing anything cadence/power for the times that it is showing as disconnected?
  • vectra0
    Yeah absolutely no power or cadence info for the time period, nearly alway about 1min. Done a couple of rides now to see if it would fix, but still the same. Had a long decent and it happened then. It’s like it’s just switching off. Should I contact powertap or the suppliers?

craigr wrote:
    vectra0 wrote:

The battery cover if i remember right has a max torque setting, obviously don't go over this as you will damage your thread.
    How does the power look when you upload it to Garmin/Strava, etc, is it not showing anything cadence/power for the times that it is showing as disconnected?
  • craigr
    vectra0 wrote:
    Yeah absolutely no power or cadence info for the time period, nearly alway about 1min. Done a couple of rides now to see if it would fix, but still the same. Had a long decent and it happened then. It’s like it’s just switching off. Should I contact powertap or the suppliers?

craigr wrote:
    vectra0 wrote:

I would go direct to Powertap. Yes sounds like it is going to sleep which it shouldn't be doing in a short period of time.
  • vectra0
    They have been sent back to purchaser.... I’ll le you know if the problem gets resolved. Thanks everyone for the input
  • WTF? Even pedals have batteries in them? Cycling seems to be more like robobiking these days with all these sensors, monitors, GPS and power assist. Is anyone on here actually still a cyclist?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    WTF? Even pedals have batteries in them? Cycling seems to be more like robobiking these days with all these sensors, monitors, GPS and power assist. Is anyone on here actually still a cyclist?

I know, all these gadgets for bikes .... its as if people actually want to see ride data to help them train more efficiently.