Building a Redemption

chuffed
chuffed Posts: 11
edited July 2018 in MTB general
Hi guys

I'm starting to commute to work via my mountain bike - the route is a mix of about 30% roads, with 70% trail/gravel track. I've done it so far on an old Box Two frame, with Bomber Z3 M80s up front, and the standard Giant GTM 7 rear shock.

I had a Parallax hub start to fail on me, which I suspect might be 15 years or so old now, and as such had wear to the hub itself that I couldn't resolve with a fresh axle and bearings, so I've ordered some HB-475s to replace them. The frame itself had "design issues", and I'm near 100kg, and rather than risk shearing the welds I thought I'd think about rebuilding my other frame.

I've got a Redemption 3 frame that I haven't yet built up, and it's pretty much just the frame on its own (sans crankset, rear shock and everything else). Am I likely to find any of my parts will be transferrable? The Bombers only have 90mm travel, as opposed to the 160mm+ I'm seeing as standard fit on the front of the Redemptions, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to swap over some more "vanilla" parts over to get it usable for now?

I'm not likely to be found skimming any drop-offs any time soon, so there's no real need for any high spec parts, just enough for XC use for now. The frame might be a tad excessive for what I want to use it for, but it's what I have and will be more durable than the Giant - I'm just hoping I can built it up using what I have, or on a small budget.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, and 160mm travel for commuting, even with a bit of gravel is crazy.

Once you've sourced a shock and forks you might as well buy a more suitable bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    cooldad wrote:
    Nope, and 160mm travel for commuting, even with a bit of gravel is crazy.

Yep, I agree, but he'll get fit quicker! :)

And wear out his mtb quicker too!