Velogames RIP?

kingstongraham
kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
edited July 2019 in Pro race
From their website....
Due to a recent legal notice, entries into the current Fantasy Grand Tour game are currently suspended until further notice.

It is fair to say I am absolutely gutted about this turn of events, but do not want to comment further until the situation progresses.

At present it is looking unlikely that the current Fantasy Grand Tour game will go ahead as planned.

Yours in fantasy cycling, George

WTF ASO?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    ASO have launched their own version and are eliminating the competition. I'm not sure on what grounds though
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Shameful !
  • kingstongraham
    Theirs is so much worse. I know the point is to get traffic, but having to go to their website every day to set your day's "road captain" is terrible.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Yep, really annoying.

Doubly so that I had already spent Wednesday meticulously choosing my team
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Assholes Showing Off.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    From their website....
    Due to a recent legal notice, entries into the current Fantasy Grand Tour game are currently suspended until further notice.

It is fair to say I am absolutely gutted about this turn of events, but do not want to comment further until the situation progresses.

At present it is looking unlikely that the current Fantasy Grand Tour game will go ahead as planned.

Yours in fantasy cycling, George

WTF ASO?

Velon seem to be doing it now. What a great shame.
  • timmyotool
    timmyotool Posts: 172
    So annoyed about this! Definitely not doing the ASO game out of principle.

Anyone know what grounds the legal challenge is under? Eurosport still seem to be running theirs!
    Would it be use of the term "Tour de France" or use of rider names maybe?
  • kingstongraham
    It's a proper The Man move to take someone else's idea and then sue them.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If it's not velogames I'm not playing.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    ASO have form for this. For years there was the channel 4 TdF coverage available on YouTube. It was removed because ASO requested it.

That's fine I guess - If they offered an alternative. It's not like you could go watch the race in an ASO archive for $$'s or something.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    RichN95 wrote:
    ASO have launched their own version and are eliminating the competition. I'm not sure on what grounds though

Do they 'own' the results?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

I think they own the results, but don't own the facts. So the reproduction of the results could be stopped, but use of the facts of the results to create something original probably couldn't be. But I'm pretty much guessing.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    It's been a long while since I practised law but I am pretty sure they don't own the results. The results are what they are. There isn't any creative effort on the part of ASO to generate them*. They probably don't own the team lists either, unless the Dataco, Stan James judgment has been overturned in the last few years. There may be some trademmark stuff over the name but it sounds merely like a big company bullying a smaller one to me.

*jokes anticipated.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    For the first time I joined a fantasy league, mainly due to pleading/bullying from a mate. Feeling a bit guilty about it now as it's the ASO one.

I shall protest by doing really, really badly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    DeadCalm wrote:
    It's been a long while since I practised law but I am pretty sure they don't own the results. The results are what they are. There isn't any creative effort on the part of ASO to generate them*. They probably don't own the team lists either, unless the Dataco, Stan James judgment has been overturned in the last few years. There may be some trademmark stuff over the name but it sounds merely like a big company bullying a smaller one to me.

*jokes anticipated.
    It's a long time since I read about this stuff. Certainly several years before Dataco. I think everything's changed by now.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I know the Premier league own their fixture lists and charge a significant amount to publish them. It may be something along those lines.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Mattsaw wrote:
    I know the Premier league own their fixture lists and charge a significant amount to publish them. It may be something along those lines.

Yeah, they got very, very shitty about it a couple of years back and were ridiculed for being arseholes.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Should get around the licensing issue with classic Pro Evo Soccer style names:

Cross Broom
    Marc Ovendish
    Roberto Urine
    Tyler Fishy

etc etc
  • RichN95.
    Should get around the licensing issue with classic Pro Evo Soccer style names:

Cross Broom
    Marc Ovendish
    Roberto Urine
    Tyler Fishy

etc etc
    They used to have those for some of the teams on Pro Cycling Manager. Maybe they still do.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    just need UK Cycling Expert to come up with the new names, has alternatives for most of the riders and names of the places in france, it just becomes the race for the yellow jumper :lol:
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Mattsaw wrote:
    I've seen that claimed elsewhere. II'm out of toch with the law but 'd be interested to know on what basis. Dataco vs Stan James was on precisely this point and Dataco (who represent the Premier League as well as the English and Scottish Football Leagues) lost.

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/d ... cid=531066
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • kingstongraham
    Well after a few days I can conclusively say that the ASO game site is really not good. Overengineered rubbish. Our league has instituted house rules saying no substitutions and no changing the captain, so we don't have to keep going to the site.
  • cygnet
    cygnet Posts: 92
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I think they own the results, but don't own the facts. So the reproduction of the results could be stopped, but use of the facts of the results to create something original probably couldn't be. But I'm pretty much guessing.

It seems that they've come up with a way to stop anyone using their results - by not publishing them on their website...

Yesterdays individual results: Ranking is coming
    Well after a few days I can conclusively say that the ASO game site is really not good. Overengineered rubbish. Our league has instituted house rules saying no substitutions and no changing the captain, so we don't have to keep going to the site.

I've got 20 years of web development experience, and I agree entirely. Nothing works as you'd expect it to and many basic web standards are completely ignored. The UX is awful. It's junk.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I am sticking in there with the procycling stats one, which doesn't appear to have been shut down as yet.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Velogames has a note now pointing people towards the ASO game - has the feel of a compromise to me, with ASO dropping any claims for Velogames pointing customers in their direction? Any other insights?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    Velogames is back up and running.
    Looks like they have most events covered, interestingly all of July is TBA!
    Spring classics starts tomorrow.
    https://www.velogames.com/

Is there still an active league code for BR?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Velogames is back up and running.
    Looks like they have most events covered, interestingly all of July is TBA!
    Spring classics starts tomorrow.
    https://www.velogames.com/

Is there still an active league code for BR?

Try it and see.
    They ran both P-N and T-A competitions, but then changed the rules to unlimited transfers for the Spring classics game.
    Since this was announced, a lot of negative feedback was incoming, so now they intend to run the old, 24 transfer version as well. (note what it says on that link you posted.)

Which leaves folks all over 24 hours....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    No velogames for the "upcoming grand tour".

What's second best these days?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Shame as Velogames has a nice simplicity and functionality about it.

I'm still quite bemused as to what element of information which is freely available in the public domain the ASO feel they have rights over, and moreso in that participation these sorts of things helps the audience of the race too. But when did the ASO ever make entirely logical decisions!!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)